help for paris hotel

Aug 4th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

help for paris hotel

I have shortlisted the following hotels. Can you please help me in deciding. This is my first trip. thanks
Hotel Paris Bastille (67, rue de Lyon 75012)
Hotel Belle Epoque (66, rue de Charenton 75012 )
Hotel Renoir (39 rue du Montparnasse)
Hotel DU CADRAN (10, rue du Champ de Mars)

Aug 4th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Hi
I don't know your hotels, but here are three places to look for comments from past guests
Do a search here in the text box nearer the top of the page
Go to the Hotel section for Paris (very top of the page) and look at the comments and ratings
look for comments at tripadvisor.com
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:10 AM

I don't know the first three hotels, but the fourth is in a good location near rue cler where all the great eats are. also, easy walking distance to eiffel tower.
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I have not stayed in any of them but since this is your first visit, I would definitely scratch the first two for their location. I don't think any firsttime visitor would want to stay in the 12th in comparison to the other locations. I could see if you had to for budget reasons, but since you don't mention that, I'm guessing that's not the dilemma. The location of those two hotels is between Gare de Lyon and the Opera Bastille, so it's not terrible if you had to, but I wouldn't choose it.

Either of the other two are in good locations for a lot of reasons.
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM

I have stayed several times in the Du Cadran. Pluses: great location, very helpful staff, lovely salon, comfortable rooms, some with view of Eiffel Tower. Minuses: rooms are on the small side for its price range in Paris and luggage storage space is minimal.
Overall, I was quite satisfied with the du Cadran. It's often compared with the Bosquet across the street and I think the du Cadran is slightly superior--especially in its public rooms (the salon/lobby).
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:46 AM

The only one I know of is du Cadran as we stayed at the Relais Bosquet which is across the street from it. The Cadran didn't look all that great from what we observed. They may have better public rooms (as one poster said) but you won't be sleeping in them so I'd opt for a place with better rooms. I'd recommend the 7th Arr. as a good place for a first trip. The Relais Bosquet has gotten a lot of good write ups. Our room as a "superior" one which meant it was slightly larger then normal ones. It had plenty of room, a large closet, a modern bathroom with separate w/c. Also an iron & ironing board! The breakfast rooms were fine, separated by a hallway, smoking on one side, non on the other. We had a great view of the Eiffel Tower from our room.

Most hotels in Paris don't look like much from the street we've found, particularly smaller hotels.

Aug 4th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Christina,
I didn't understand this properly. "The location of those two hotels is between Gare de Lyon and the Opera Bastille, so it's not terrible if you had to, but I wouldn't choose it."
Can you please explain. I am looking around $150.
thanks
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:18 PM

oh, well, I guess you got the part on the location. What I meant was there are other parts of the 12th that are a lot worse where I really wouldn't want to stay and would say definitely not, forget it --but that particular location in the 12th isn't terrible. If someone really wanted to stay there or had to, I wouldn't say it would ruin their trip. It's close in and not that far from the Bastille Opera house or the Viaduc des Arts, that's why. However, I would not ever choose that location as preferable or even equal to the other two, so there would have to be a very good reason why'd I'd stay there.
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM

In case there was confusion in my earlier post, I do not think the hotel rooms at du Cadran are lower in quality than those of Bosquet across the street. I had a chance to see the rooms of Bosquet last year and didn't think they were any better or worse than the rooms we had at du Cadran, just a different decor (the Cadran rooms, FYI, have whitewashed provincial style wood furniture, pretty bedspreads and nice bathrooms tiled in a clever faux marble pattern). The Bosquet's lounge, however, was shabbier (or at least not as clean) and less spacious. At the Cadran, we *did* spend time in the lounge, having a drink at by the fireplace (wonderful in winter!--you didn't say when your trip will be) or chatting with friends.
Aug 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm late. My trip is next month! (September).
Aug 4th, 2003, 03:49 PM

First trip and $150 nite budget?
You can stay center city in the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th or 9th districts for that budget. Any reason why your list is all places that are far out? What will you do if there is a subway strike, as happens every fall and spring?
Aug 4th, 2003, 09:53 PM

The 7th is hardly far out. From the du Cadran (the 7th arrond hotel) you are a very short distance from the Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides, the Rodin Museum, the Musee d'Orsay and the Grand/Petit Palais. Paris is a fairly compact city and you can walk from the 7th to the Luxembourg Gardens, the Latin Quarter, the Louvre, Notre Dame etc. with no difficulty. Also, the 7th is a pretty residential neighborhood, lots of trees and beautiful apartment buildings. Why do you consider the 7th "far out"?
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:11 PM

I very much like the 7th Arr and have been staying there for many years but am at a little bit of a loss at one of the posters' comments about rue Cler being where all the "good eats" are located. Unless you like eating at fruit stands please enlighten me as to where the "good eats" are located on rue Cler.
I am genuinely interested in knowing.

Larry J
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM

The good eats may not be located right on rue Cler but we have a list of about 10 restaurants within 3-6 blocks walking distance. We have stayed in the area around the Bastille/Gare de Lyon and it is quite far from the usual walking areas of the City. I would not stay in that area again--it is quite residential and a bit boring. Have to walk LONG distances to get to areas of interest.
Agree that the 7th is hardly "far out". It is a quiet residential area where many mid-level Parisians live and shop and eat. You are constantly treated to rounding a corner and sighting the Eiffel Tower.