Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Can you help me find a particular Paris market?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am desperately trying to find a street market that my husband and I visited last year in Paris. We just happened upon this market while riding the L'Open Tour hop on hop off bus (Blue Route). This market is open on Thursdays and Saturdays only (according to our host last year). It is in what she referred to as the "university area", there was a flower shop on a "V" shaped corner and the market was across the street. This was not a large market and had a variety of items, i.e. flowers, scarves, clothing, jewelry, and food.

If you can think of any market you may know that sounds like this PLEASE let me know, I want to revisit this lovely little market while we are in Paris in 3 weeks. THANK YOU.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Maubert Market? Place Maubert, Tuesdays, Thursday, and Saturdays.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Just so you know, many vendors move from one street market to the next so if you liked a particular vendor, try one on any day. I LOVE them all and wouldn't miss going to at least several on any visit!!
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Nothing springs to my mind that matches all of your criteria. Only two markets are open only on Saturday and Thursday, for example, but they aren't in any part of the city that is traditionally associated with universities (Latin Quarter, etc.). They are in the Seventh and the Twelfth.

If you go to the city's official site, http://www.paris.fr, and search for "markets," you'll get a map and list of all the open markets in the city (in French, alas!). You can check out markets in the area you think you might have visited, and verify their appearance using Google Maps and street view. In this way you may eventually be able to locate the market you have in mind.

Unfortunately, the "university area" could be practically anywhere within a large quadrant of the city, and that covers a lot of open markets. If you saw it from Open Tour, it was probably in a touristy area of (perhaps) the Latin Quarter, but that still covers more than half a dozen open markets. There are also quite a few flower shops on V-shaped corners (surprisingly) and many of them sell a mixture of food and other items, so that doesn't narrow it down much for me, although perhaps it will ring a bell for someone else. If you recall a specific monument or landmark that was very close by, that might help.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM

I can't imagine any tour guide referring to anything but the Latin Quarter as the "university area", so suspect it was Maubert. That one isn't too huge, sounds about right.

Besides, it has to be that one as that is the blue line route, it goes right by it on bd St Germain and doesn't go anywhere else but from Bastille across the river, west on bd St Germain, then across by Notre Dame and back east on rue de Rivoli.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Sounds like Place Maubert, around the corner from where I lived and where I did my shopping 20 years ago. There are also a half dozen shops selling cheese, wine, meat, fish, bread, flowers, etc. adjacent to the market.

Across the *street*, the Boulevard St. Germain, is a pretty decent little restaurant, the Cafe du Metro.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Another vote for Maubert market. Right at the metro stop. Enjoy.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ALL of you! Christina, our host at the B&B we stayed at is who labeled that area as "university area" and the Blue route sounds like you mentioned. We will definitely check out Maubert market! AnthonyGA thank you for the suggested site, I will go back on there and do a little more research. I REALLY appreciate everyone's help. Becky
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM

The Maubert market is open on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, so either the guide was wrong about the hours (in saying that the market was open only on Saturday and Thursday) or she had a different market in mind.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Come to think of it, there's no flower shop there, either, although there is a V-shaped corner (but it's just a tiny garden with a fountain, not a flower shop).
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM

It might also have been the Saxe-Breutil market that is open Thus and Sat. It's my second favorite market, Richard Lenoir being first!
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

It is maubert!! I finally found it by looking up maubert on google earth. Great advice from all of you; can't wait to go there to shop. Hopefully our flight will not be cancelled again today.