Best open market in Paris?

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best open market in Paris?

Hi,
I will be in Paris for only 5 days.

In your opinion, which market should be prioritized?

As advised, these are my choices:
1) The Paris Art Market
2) Marché Buci
3) The rue Mouffetard market
4) Marché Biologique

Any advice will be appreciated!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 02:47 AM

If the "art market" is the one at Montparnasse on Saturday I have heard it is pretty mediocre.
People seem to like Mouffetard a lot for a market street of shops--similar to rue Cler.
We like the street markets that are set up in different parts of the city every day--you can run into them almost anywhere.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:46 AM

The marché biologique is not that large and is overpriced. Place d'Aligre is worth a visit, and if you are near the Bastille on a Sunday, try the market on Blvd. Richard Lenoir.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:18 AM

Why do they need to be prioritized? You'll be there 5 days... you could easily see most if not all of them. But since you asked, I personally like the Marche Buci, and will do a lot of shopping at the Marche Biologique since I'm planning to do lots of cooking this trip.

Here's a link to a cool website with info about 4 markets in Paris, just to add more choices to your mix.

http://www.parismarkets.net/

~kat
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM

It really depends what you want to buy and then what you want to do with it. For example, I wouldn't go to the organic market if I planned to leave town shortly and was staying in a hotel. What would you buy and what would you do with it?

I don't know what you mean by the Art Market, either, that could be one of many things, I think, ranging from the sidewalk artists at Montmartre to real gallery shops in the 6th or elsewhere, to the Viaduc des Arts (which seems more like home furnishings from my brief visit), to the Marche Creations or whatever on Quinet. I didn't find that one (on Quinet) of any interest myself, it was like going to an arts and crafts show in my home town or almost anywhere where they show the same stuff which was very expensive and nothing particularly French. I know someone else on here liked it a lot better than I did, however, and bought some designer pottery or something.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM

It's a personal choice. My favorite is rue Mouffetarde (the bottom half; the top part is lined with cheap restaurants). I like to buy things for a picnic, then eat in the little garden by St. Medard, which is at the bottom and across from the flower stalls.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM

Someone mentioned on another post that this was the best of the markets:
http://www.parismarkets.net/Saxe-Breteuil.html
- open from 7am to 2:30 pm every Thursday and Saturday morning
- metro to Ecole Militaire or La Motte Piquet; the Ecole Militaire is the beautiful building at the opposite end of the Champ de Mars from the Eiffel Tower. Walk directly behind the Ecole Militiare and you will see the tree-lined Ave. de Saxe in front of you. Walk a block further to find the stalls lining the street.

I'd like to see it myself one day.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:32 PM

Travelnut has given good advice. The Saxe-Breteuil Market has the choicest products directly from the producers for the most case, rather than permanent vendors who buy wholesale and are there every day such as rue Cler, Mouffetard, Buci, etc. This is a wealthy residential area so it is one of the most upscale of Paris'many markets.A big plus is the view; you are right between the pretty Place Breteuil and towered over by the Eiffel. If you are near a stop for the #28 bus, it stops right at the market.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM

Gotta agree with Travelnut and Laidback. The Saxe-Breteuil is my favorite. Great food, pottery, tablecloths, and location, location, location!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:55 PM

I adored Marche Mouffetard. I stayed in Paris for 2 weeks this Spring and I walked there almost daily to buy produce cheeses and pates. As someone else posted, the lower half with the shops is the true market. It's also about a 20 minute walk to the Pantheon.

I am not familiar with Saxe-Breteuil. I look forward to seeing those views on the next trip. Thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:32 PM

Do a search on Street Markets in Paris. The third thread that comes up is labeled Street Markets in Paris and provides a nice review of this topic. As you'll read there, I am partial to Aligre, Wilson and Barbes for the reasons given. Markets are one of the very best things to see in Paris. One a day is not too much. It's addicting. Enjoy.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:22 AM

Surpised nobody has mentioned my favorite. The Biological Marche on Blvd Raspail in the 6th, Sunday mornings. It bills itself as a natural foods market, but really has everything anybody could want, just without the hormones and chemicals. Great cheeses, bread, fruits, meats.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If the art market you are referring to is the Marche Creation in Montparnasse on Sundays, I would go only if you enjoy craft fairs. I am the person Christina is probably referring to; I bought a beautiful pottery vase there from a potter who lives in Paris. I collect pottery wherever I go, so this was a treat for me.

As Christina says, however, there is nothing uniquely French about it. These are not regional specialties. It is a market run by the city as an outlet for local artists and craftspeople. The quality may vary from week to week, but the day I went there were a lot of colorful and interesting displays and I took some fun photos of some of the more unusual art and sculpture.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Mulifat,

I believe the Marché Biologique has been mentioned 3 times already.