Best market and flea market in paris?

Jul 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Best market and flea market in paris?

Dear all,

I was thinking of visiting 1 market and 1 flea market.

Do you know which is the best one? Since they have quite a few available in Paris?
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM
ira

t

Jul 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM

The flea markets are only open on the week-end so that will be one necessity for your time there. We like the Vanves market because it is small and doable in a couple of hours and you might find something you want. The Marche aux Puces at St.Ouen really requires a day of poking around.
There is a steet market every day except Monday somewhere in Paris. We like the one at Pl. Monge and the Bastille Richard Lenoir market.
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM

I'll add that the "best" of the street markets is fairly relative since some vendors just go from one to the next. The displays are all so gorgeous. The Bastille market has a lot of clothes and housewares also.
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM

Eveyone will have their own favorites. Mine are Porte de Vanves , Sat and Sunday.

Food markets are all closed on Mondays so plan accordingly. My recommended, Richard Lenoir , near Bastille, Sundays and Thursdays and Saxe-Bretueil, at Ave. Saxe and Place de Breteuil, Thusdays and Saturdays.
Jul 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM

There is a fairly big second hand market maybe ten minutes walk from Porte De Calignancourt metro station on weekends. Just follow the crowd. Best time to get there is about 11 AM.
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM

If you do go to the Clignancourt market (which is the same as the Puces de Saint Ouen), make sure you walk from the metro stop, pass under the highway, then turn left on rue des Rosiers.

Before you get there, close to the metro station, there is a large and uninteresting flea market selling things like sneakers and jackets, this is not the real flea market.

It is a very different experience from the flea market at Porte de Vanves. At St. Ouen, the stands are permanent, and many are actual indoor stores selling high end antiques. But there are many small, fascinating stalls specializing in one or two specific items. I have pictures of my husband at a stand selling nothing but keychains, for instance.

There is much more depth at St. Ouen than at Porte de Vanves, stores specializing in almost anything you can imagine. But the area is huge and is divided into several markets. I have found affordable vintage items at the Paul Bert and Vernaison markets.

The web site is very informative:
http://www.parispuces.com/en/Default.asp
Jul 22nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
eri

Clignancourt!
Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:49 AM

Clignancourt,St.Ouen, Marche aux Puces, Vernaison, Paul Bert--all the same place at Metro Porte Clignancourt. The best time to get there is as early as you can on week-ends because it is SO big. The descriptions of permanent shops is correct, of course. As is the cheap African market that precedes it. Many go and see this, leave and discount the "flea market" as worthless. And, of course, there is NO comparison between Vanves and Clignancourt--I have just been to the Marche so much--and now need nothing!! I need to take them some "stuff"!!
If the OP has the better part of a day and the real desire to poke through a lot of places, Clignacourt is the place.
Another possibility is to check in Pariscope for the week and see if there will be a brocante in some square--we have really found good things at these. But again, it all depends on what you are looking for/like/collect.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 06:16 AM

Like Gretchen mentions, I have found some wonderful things at brocantes if you are lucky enough to happen upon one.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM

I think most of those roving temporary markets are fairly similar, as they are the same kind of vemdors, or even the same people, as noted. Some are just bigger than others, though. It really depends why you are going or what you hope to find there, as to which might be best. If it's just to see one, I'd just figure out which one might fit into your schedule best.

Having said that, I especially like the Bastille one, the one under the metro rail line at La Motte Picquet, and the one on bd Edgar Quinet.