Richard Lenior market on a thursday?

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard Lenior market on a thursday?

I know everyone seems to love this market on a Sunday, but we won't be in Paris on a Sunday. But, I know the market also runs on a Thursday - is it still worth the effort to go on a Thursday?

I'm not sure if there will be as many vendors, or if the produce is as good, so I would love to get some input on it.

Also, where exactly does the market start? I've read that it's near Place de Bastille - does it run the entire street?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Thursdays will be fine . The only reason we go on Sundays is because we like to go to the Saxe-Breteuil market on Thursdays.

The market runs off of the Pl. Bastille and goes on for blocks..just follow the ladies with their market baskets.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jody - good to know it will be the same.

I was thinking about going to the Saxe-Breteuil market also - do you know what days that market is on? We are staying on Ile Saint Louis, and I believe the Saxe market is in the 7th, which is a bit farther away.

If we had to choose between Saxe-Breteuil or Richard Lenoir, which should I pick?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I don't think the day of the week matters that much for those markets. Place Monge market is on Sundays, also (as well as Wed and Fri). Saxe-Breteuil is Thursday and Sat. There is one at Hotel de Ville, also, which would be closer, on Wed and Sat. That one is different in that it is Wed afternoon until late, not in the morning like most. A lot run until 2-3 pm, but that one doesn't start until afteroon and then goes till 8 pm on Wed. On Saturday, it's the typical times.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina

So, if I had to pick between Richard Lenoir and Saxe- Breteuil, which one is better?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM

We went to Richard Lenoir on a Thursday, and didn't get there until just after noon. It was fabulous!

Richard Lenoir is much larger than Saxe-Breteuil (which is certainly large enough, just fewer duplicate types of vendors), and prices are a bit lower. But, it's a huge thrill to walk from Place de Breteuil through the market with the Tour Eiffel in front of you! Be sure to look for inexpensive items for your home that will remind you of your visit. (I picked up some beautifully embroidered kitchen towels, for example.)

Highly recommend Bistro de Breteuil for lunch. Three courses for €32 (which also includes an apertif, bottle of wine for two, coffee). Food is excellent and tables on terrace have view of Tour Eiffel.

Or, pick up picnic food at the market and head for Champs de Mars.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

djkbooks,

Thanks so much for all your info! Which street does Saxe-Breteuil run through? Can you see the Eiffel Tower in all areas of the market?

I didn't even realize that they sold other items besides food at that market!

Since we won't be there on Sunday, do you think Saxe-Breteuil will still be good if we go in the afternoon? Are the prices really cheaper there than at the Richard Lenoir market?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Prices are not significantly lower (depending upon what you want to buy) to choose one over the other. Prices vary from one vendor to the next and some prices are higher, some lower.

At Saxe-Breteuil, in addition to the usual fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, fresh herbs, cheeses, olives, some prepared foods, breads, pastries, etc. (all beautifully displayed), you'll find some kitchen items, linens (tablecloths, napkins, kitchen towels), clothing, leather goods, handbags/wallets, scarves, etc.

The market starts just past Place de Breteuil on Ave de Saxe and continues to the intersection at Ave de Segur. (About three blocks.)

The Tour Eiffel is in full view the entire way.

At this market, there is one row of booths on either side of the "aisle" (whereas at Richard Lenoir there are two aisles with booths on either side and it's a bit longer).

The "official" hours of the market are until 2:30 PM, but walking through after lunch at Bistro de Breteuil one day most of the vendors were packing up well before 2PM.

The offerings are incredibly fresh, so vendors tend to pack up at the markets when they've sold out, and/or when the customers "tail off".

If you want a "market" experience in the afternoon, you may want to choose a market street, rather than a roving market, such as Rue Montorgueil, which is lined on both sides with indoor/outdoor markets, along with shops, pharmacies, and cafes/restaurants.

Actually, our favorite market (so far) has been the one on Ave de President Wilson (which starts just west of Place de l'Alma - also with a fine view of the Tour Eiffel across the river), which is held on Wednesdays and Saturdays. In addition to the glorious food displays and offerings, excellent selection of non-food merchandise at really good prices. We found the vendors here the friendliest of all the markets - offering up lots of tasting samples without asking and not expecting you to purchase anything. I picked up a terrific small shoulder bag (the "perfect" bag) with slots inside for my cell phone and PDA and an inside zipper compartment, along with an outside pocket for the papers/maps/Paris MapGuide, that expands with a zipper! Price was €10. I saw the same exact bag elsewhere in the leather goods shops, no kidding, for €45. I wish I had grabbed the leather cell phone case and a few other items! My husband picked up a leather Carte Orange case, with slots for the card and ticket, and several other cards and a bit of cash, for €2. Mine was a lot more in one of the department stores the year before.