Heidelberg hotels

Sep 7th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Heidelberg hotels

I posted an earlier question regarding Augsburg hotels (driving from Bruges) and got no responses, so we went ahead and booked at the Novotel/Dorint...it had good TA reviews and is easy to drive to.
However, we decided to break the drive from Bruges with an overnight in Heidelberg...I'm not 100% about wanting to go here, it seems like a hard drinking university town, not our usual thing, but we'll give it a go. Any hotel suggestions? We are leaning towards the Weisser Bock. Opinions and other suggestions welcome. Requirements:
Reasonably easy access by car. Parking should be nearby if not at the hotel itself
Comfortable, clean rooms, the rate on their web site is 110 euro per night, no problems with that. We're waiting to hear (via email) if pets are allowed, we're traveling with spaniel as usual.
Elevator a must

Any highlights of Heidelberg we really shouldn't miss on our one night stop (will arrive about 1:30 pm and leave next day about noon)?

I'm actually more interested in Augsburg--it seems to be less touristy but worth seeing. However, Heidelberg makes a good break in the drive.

Any alternate suggestions for overnight in the general area near Heidelberg welcome; but nothing that would take us closer to Augsburg.

Thanks!

(the trip itinerary is drive from Berkshire to eurotunnel train, from there to Bruges, one night Bruges, on to Heidelberg one night, one night Augsburg, 5 nights at resort in Austrian Tirol, then 4 nights Bellagio, 2 nights in Werfen near Salzburg, one night Burghausen, then one night ?? haven't decided, finishing with two weeks in Brussels before heading back to Berkshire)
Sep 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Except for the elevator, the Gasthaus Backmulde would be nearly ideal.
The restaurant is VG also, but the menu never seems to change.
M
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM

I'm only familar with the Europaiser Hoff which I would highly recommend but is probably beyond your budget. However, I would definitely suggest staying in Heidelberg. True it is a university town but I never encountered any hard-drinking students in the time I spent there. Much to see and some very good restaurants, but you really need to stay near the Platz (town centre). Sorry not familar with the Weisser Bock.

For a one night stop I'd visit the Castle and just stroll around the Platz (the Church of the Holy Ghost is worth a visit). Enjoy!

Sep 8th, 2005, 01:58 AM

Earlier this summer we stayed at the NH Heidelberg and would recommend it. Very nice new hotel in an old brewery.

It is located on a main(but surprisingly fairly quiet) street, about a 10 minute walk or a couple stops on a tram (tram stop just outside the hotel). I think travelling by car, this would be a good location. Had a small carpark at the hotel as well.

We went through the hotels website and paid less than the 110Euros currently shown on it. http://www.nh-hotels.com/
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks adwinn, we did look into the NH but they are booked for the night we wanted.
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Well, as it turned out, a few of the hotels we wanted were booked, so we tossed Heidelberg out of our itinerary for a night in Baden-Baden instead, one of our favorite places to visit. Plus, it cuts the drive to Augsburg.
Thanks, anyway, everyone.
Sep 8th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Actually, Baden- Baden is a bit out of your way on the way to Augsburg.

Check Speyer: It's just a short drive from Heidelberg, and a delighful old city on the banks of the Rhein. Has some good hotels and it is not as touristy as Heidelberg or Baden-Baden.
Sep 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Baden-Baden isn't really out of the way for us. We have family there, it gives us a chance to pay them a visit. And the drive from BB to Augsburg is shorter than the drive from Heidelberg to Augsburg.
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Not so much a hard drinking student town as a heavily touristed town. You want to visit the Castle and the Philosopher's Walk. Great views in both spots. You can spend time prowling and eating in the Alstadt. If you have some free time, take a boat ride on the Nekkar. The 3 hour trip is worth it as it gets far enough afield to see some beautiful castles and little villages.

For hotels, check out Hotel Goldener Hecht http://www.hotel-goldener-hecht.de/index.html, Hotel Am Kornmarkt 49 6221 905830, Hotel Anlage http://www.hotel-anlage.de/home.htm
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Oops, sorry... just noticed you tossed out Heidelberg. Too bad. It's well worth a visit.