Heathrow-Stansted Connection

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow-Stansted Connection

With our trip a week away I am considering changing plans! We are scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at 10:20am and will leave from Stansted at 7:15pm the same day. I don't really want to go into London as I will have a cranky husband and preschooler, as well as luggage, with which to contend.

I have already booked a car with justairports that will cost 73GBP.

Now the change...I am thinking of cancelling the booking with justairports and getting tickets for National Express from Heathrow to Stansted. These will cost 53GBP, including insurance. I am thinking we could take our time at Heathrow, walk around a little, grab lunch, then take the 1:50pm bus, that will arrive at Stansted at 3:50pm. I figure that after the 8 hr flight, we could use a break before a 2 hr ride.

Does this sound feasible? Also, if our flight is delayed, can we go on a later bus or will we have to buy new tickets?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM

It sounds feasible.

I would check to see if Heathrow has a nursury/child facilities and maybe go there for a break, as well. Stansted is nothing special. You do not want to spend 6 hours there if possible.

The private car sounds great, though. Could you just book it for later?

Cheers,
Jan
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Katharine, I think that sounds like a good plan. The other possibility is that you could go into central London and spend a bit of time there, and then take the Stansted Express. But either way, you wouldn't have to book anything ahead of time.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Jan-That is a great idea. I didn't even think of the possibility that there might be child play areas. I will search the Heathrow website to find something. Also, I originally went with the car for ease, but it appears the bus directly leaves from and goes to the terminals. We can also save a little $.

WillTravel-I was planning to pre-book the bus tickets, are they typically available on the spot?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM

The bus from Heathrow is VERY easy, and not bad with toddlers as long as you can transport your luggage easily by yourself. If you can I would recommend the bus, if not I would suggest a driver, but I would get him later. I've never seen a playarea at Heathrow, but we've not explored much more than terminal 3 and the bus station. Preschoolers can often make their own playareas if you can find a spacious area, either indoors or out.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM

I agree that the National Express bus is quite easy.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Yes, you can book National Express on the spot.
Cheers,
Jan
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

We'll arrive at Terminal 4. I printed out the terminal map, but don't see the stop for National Express. Does anyone know where this is? Also, where would I buy the tickets?

I looked through the Heathrow website and couldn't find a play area. It looks like there are more shops and restaurants available, even in Terminal 4, than Stansted, though. That should give us more room to move.

Also, Sprin, you're right about play space...my kiddo loves to "run" in the mall (we have a very slow mall here)-which consists of her shuffling her feet about 6 feet in front of us, then turning around and giggling at us. Obviously, one of the busiest airports in the world won't work for this game, but I'm sure we can come up with others.

Thanks!