Travel time between Gatwick and Heathrow

Old Feb 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel time between Gatwick and Heathrow

This coming September 2010, we are flying from Atlanta to Venice. The itinerary has us changing airports: Gatwick to Heathrow. It allows approximately 5 hours. What is the best way for us to travel between airports (avoiding buses)? Is there a train that runs between both airports?
Mamagumu is offline  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 68,675
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why do you want to avoid a bus? A coach the only practical transport between LGW and LHR

There are no trains --= unless you go via central London and change stations which is daft.

You get on the National Express coach at the terminal at LGW and get off at LHR.
janisj is online now  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
janisj. Maybe she thinks the bus will be too time consuming.
Sher is offline  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 68,675
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe - who knows. But she asked for the best way and specifically said she wants to avoid a bus. Didn't say anything about "We don't want a bus because it would be too slow" - just that they don't want a bus.

Well - the best, and for most situations, the only practical way to get from one to the other is by bus.
janisj is online now  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mamagumu. You could also arrange for a private transfer. Google Gatwick to Heathrow transfer.

Good Luck
Sher is offline  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 68,675
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, a car service is an option. But it would take approx. the same time as a coach and cost about £120 plus tip.
janisj is online now  
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:23 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The coach is the quickest way between airports and is how I'd suggest doing it in 99.99% of cases (the other 0.01% covers people who have several hours spare.

But if you really want to avoid coaches and then kame your way to Gatwick South Terminal, take the the Gatwick Express (before 9:30am weekdays) or Southern Trains train (any other time) to Victoria, make your way to the Tube, take the District Line to Hammersmith, walk across the Platform, wait for a Picadilly Line Tube to your terminal as not all Picadilly Line trains serve Heathrow and the ones that go to Heathrow serve T1234 or T1235.

Cost is similar but it takes at least an hour longer
alanRow is offline  
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 04:48 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And just to add - increases your chances of missing your onward flight
alanRow is offline  
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice. I was confused and thought there was a direct train between both airports. The coach sounds fine. Do we need to make reservations or just pick it up when we get there? We're flying in from Atlanta and arrive around 7:30am.
Mamagumu is offline  
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:49 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 976
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bus is fine--we did it last year. You don't need advance reservations. Just go to the dedicated coach stop for the Gatwick bus and they'll put you on the next available one. It's direct and comfortable and fairly quick.
aprillilacs is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JBpgh
Europe
8
May 30th, 2011 11:03 AM
LbnNeko
Europe
24
Sep 21st, 2007 09:10 AM
crewe
Europe
6
Jan 27th, 2006 09:26 AM
geraldineb
Europe
5
Sep 4th, 2005 10:47 AM
crp1
Europe
10
Mar 23rd, 2004 09:15 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:05 PM.