Heathrow to Gatwick

Apr 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Heathrow to Gatwick

We are arriving at Heathrow at 8:00am on a Tuesday morning. We need to get to Gatwick for a 2:00pm flight.
Do I need to book both the Heathrow and Gatwick Expresses or could we tube it to Victoria Station and pick up the Gatwick Express there.
I would prefer the cheaper option as there is 6 of us.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:06 PM

you don't do either (nor go into central London).

You get on a coach at LHR and an hour later you get off it at the terminal at LGW. Could not be easier.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM

The adult fare is 19 pounds for this one-way bus ride now - but it's not going to be much if any cheaper doing it some other way. I agree the bus is the easiest way.

I wonder if this is an instance where a car service would be cheaper (but the fact it would need to be either a van or two cars might weigh against that anyway).
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Tube, 6 x £4, GEX, 6 x £11, total £90. Rush hour tube, maybe 3 hours plus bag handling yoga.

Bus, 6 x £19, total £114. Maybe 2 1/2 hours, and it's a bus.

6-passenger private car service (airportcars.co.uk) - £91. Probably faster than the bus, too, plus door to door.

And the winner is... ?
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

The reason that I was thinking tube and ex was that people say the surface traffic is horrific during rush hour in London. Is this so, or will we miss it by the time we get out.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM

The Piccadilly Tube line will take you directly to King's Cross station in London (no line changes as is the case with Victoria).

Leaving KX after 10:00, the Southern Trains DaySave fare (up to 4 adults for £20) would get six of you from King's Cross Thameslink to LGW for £40. If any in your party are under 16, they're £1 each.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=122
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Robespierre,
Fantastic! We are 2 adults with 4 children so it will be even cheaper. Are you sure that it runs out of Kingscross--the website mentions Victoria Station again
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Train between Kings Cross Thameslink and Gatwick is run by First Capital Connect. Not Southern.

www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM

By the time you got to Kings Cross you could have already been in the departures lounge at Gatwick. Seems a bit silly to cross all of London schlepping 4 kids and assorted luggage through two tube stations to catch a train back across all of London and then some to get to LGW.

If you take the coach (or a car service) direct to LGW it will not go through London at all and will atek between 45 mins (at the best of times) and 90 mins or a bit more at the worst of times.

Just getting to Kings cross on the tube takes nearly an hour.
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I was going by their planner, but must have pulled up some other info. Victoria it is.

But to save some real dough, maybe a change to the District Line at Hammersmith will be acceptable.

If you want the ultimate in speed and convenience, I recommend a private helicopter service.
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Rush hour on the M25 between Heathrow and Gatwick is one of the travel industry's great myths.

Last week, I went out of my way to sample the rush hour bus (the things I do for you lot). Nominally leaving LHR Central at 1740, it was 5 mins late leaving and the bus I took went on to LHR T4, thus coping with Heathrow's own internal rush hour. Since checkin for my flight out of Gatwick was due to close at 1940, I began to have serious palpitations at this point.

They got worse when we got to the M25 at 1810. It looked static. But it wasn't: just, for the first three miles, moving slowly (but remorselessly). The variable speed limits operated during London's semi-permanent peak traffic periods have the counterintuitive effect of speeding things up, because they enforce very short distances between vehicles.

The result was that we arrived at Gatwick North at about 1900, and at Gatwick South at 1910. I easily made my flight.

We frequently drive past Heathrow to get to Gatwick, and generally, even at the worst times, expect to be at Gatwick in an hour once at the first Heathrow turnoff. Obviously the bus is slower than Mrs F at her most determined (we have a wall papered with her speeding tickets). But 90 mins from LHR bus station to LGW bus stop is about as bad as it ever gets in the bus.

Tack on 30 mins for safety, 30 mins to get from Customs to the bus station, 15 mins for the chaos there'll be at LGW South when they close the bus stops next week, and 10 mins to find your checkin desk (Gatwick South has the unique horror of serpentine low-cost carrier checkin queues obstructing your access to conventional airlines' desks). That's as much as you'll ever need.

If the flight's on time - and you've allowed the hour to get from the gate through Immigration at LHR.
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM

PS

There is no helicopter service, private or scheduled
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM

While I've never done this trip, some of these posts are really confusing. First of all mom04, the direct trip from Heathrow to Gatwick does not go THROUGH London.
I've always thought the bus between the two takes a little over an hour. Gardyloo where is this information coming from that it takes 2 and a half hours?

Frankly, I think loading my luggage onto one bus (with ample luggage space for that purpose) and going directly from one airport to the other sounds a whole lot easier, than maneuvering between a couple train and/or tube lines -- a WHOLE lot easier.

By the way the coach is half price for those under 13 if that means anything. And here's another idea. You can get your own private bus (which will meet you at one airport and will be quicker. It takes up to 8 people, but costs just 1 pound more than 6 full price tickets on the regular coach.
Here's a website for the National Express site.
http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...k_transfer.htm

By the way, those big coaches are a whole lot more comfortable to me than riding the tube.
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

As usual, you guys have been super.
I really don't know how anyone can plan a trip without you.
Thanks so much for all of your input.