Have we lost Elvira?

Search

Have we lost Elvira?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have we lost Elvira?

Wondering if one of my favorite posters, Elvira, has disappeared. Can't find any posts from her since before registration. Was it registration or something we said?<BR><BR>Does anyone have word from Elvira?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:48 PM

I don't have an answer, but wanted to say that I miss her too! Before registration, there were some nasty posts. Maybe that was the cause??? I hope she comes back!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:20 PM
Cassandra

Hello, Elvira? You are missed! Anyone have any communication with/from her? <BR><BR>Things did get pretty ugly in the months just before registration, and maybe she did get disgusted. Evira! Please come back!

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:47 PM

I have had no direct communication with <BR>Elvira, which was a posting name.<BR><BR>Don't look now, but things have gotten ugly again. Just take a look at the pilloring some poster named Rocco got for misfiguring a percentage loss of value in the US dollar versus the euro.<BR><BR>Some lowlife even attacked Ben Haines.<BR>Have you seen anything of him lately?<BR>That really is scraping the bottom of the barrel!!<BR><BR>Wes Fowler seems to be gone too.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:31 PM

Ben Haines is still here. Check the thread on jumping in the river. How could anyone attack Ben -- the very soul of courtesy?!
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:18 PM
CalgirlSusan

Considering the nasty comments about her, I wouldn't be surprised if she has left us. Of course, there are still some here who are sad that the posts are no longer &quot;humorous&quot;. These people thought it was truly funny when they called Elvira, who always gave helpful and at the same time witty posts, an ass -- a bore -- and much worse. Why in the world would anyone want to stay here with the types of attacks she was subjected to? Maybe in time she will find out that those nasty posters have left since registration, and she will return to entertain us with her wonderful posts.

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:31 PM

One poster (begins with &quot;J&quot in particular is very self-righteous. She attacks others who make comments which she doesn't agree with. She believes she's an expert on England and Britain.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:25 AM

Elvira often posted from work.Possibly risking unemployment by registering is a bit much to ask.Trolls never seemed to bother her.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:41 AM

I recently read a thread started by Mr. Haines. He is still here, at least for now. I think its very sad that the people who seem to be the most helpful to all of us are also (at least pre-registration) the most ridiculed. I am fairly new to this board, and have only seen a few of Elvira's posts. I think that registration saved this board. I was so sick of the posters that were here to be unkind to others. I don't blame those that left- who wants to be cut down like that?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM

The adverse comments are easy to bear. First, to err is human, and when I am wrong somebody ought to say so. Next, amongst the verbiage is a statement of fact, and in this field of travel one can often say whether that fact is right or not. Last, and hardest to bear, is the sad condition of the writers in acid. What happened to make them relish hatred ? Can I do anything to let them know that I still like them, or (easier) that their error is a common one, or easy to understand ? They are not low life, they are people, and their life has somehow brought them low.<BR><BR>Here endeth the pompous sermon. Sorry.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Ben Haines I'm so glad to see your post. You helped me on our search for bus tickets from Amsterdam to the ferry to Newcastle. I'm hoping Elvira reappears. She had rather clever and most useful advice.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Mr Wes Fowler has been ill. He may not be up to posting these days. If he is just reading the boards though, I would wish him a speedy return and good health!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Last I heard, Elvira had finally found her ailing count and had moved permanently to his chateaux somewhere southwest of Paris.<BR><BR>She may be struggling with Telecomfrance to get the place wired for internet service.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM

registration has not stopped bad posts= and Fodors is still doing their editing of such posts---<BR><BR>So-------registration cannot be the reason anyone is staying away...<BR><BR>Now, the site is slow as H$LL and boots you off regularly or does not allow one to answer a post-<BR><BR>That to me is the only reason a person would stop coming here....