Has anyone visited London in the Spring?

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone visited London in the Spring?

It seems silly to ask this question now because I have so much time ... but I am having so much fun planning and thinking about my May trip to London.

Here is my question, what kind of clothes will I need. Will it be too cool for capris? What about khakis? (Well, it won't be too cool for me - I just don't want to look out of place.) Any suggestions?

Also, I know there are a lot of free concerts and things like that in the summer. Does May have anything to offer? - I have never been in the Spring. I have only visited in Summer and Fall.

Thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I am pretty sure it will be too cool for capris.
We enjoyed free or very inexpensive concerts at St Martins in the Fields and another small church that I cannot remember. Try Googleing free concerts in London in May and see what you come up with.
Khakis might look ok with a black sweater set? I usually wear black pants with colored/white tops, so I am not much help there
I don't blame you for being excited and planning in advance, that is part of the fun of a trip.
Scarlett
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM

I've been a few times in late April and most of May. It can be chilly - I've got pics from my last trip of me with a fleece under my raincoat and a pashmina - and very damp. I recall seeing people wearing winter-type long coats on the streets. But it also got quite warm, expecially in mid-May. Never "shorts" weather - not that I'd wear shorts anyway. Long pants or capris for the warmer days. Almost always needed a light jacket or cardigan. Layers, layers, layers.... as is always recommended.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. - I am planning on going around the 3rd week in May, so maybe it will be a little warmer ... last time I was there I went in late March - April and it was COLD, windy and wet. I was hoping for a little warmer weather, but I don't want to go in Summer - I was thinking early June may be nice, but the difference in airfare is significant. (So mid May it is) ... I guess I'll figure out what to wear closer to the time I go. They may be having a heat wave like they were in 1997 (my first time) It was so funny because I was so looking forward to escaping the Georgia Summer heat - and they were in the middle of the biggest heat wave in 20 years! LOL!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM

I was in London this past Spring from May 10th - May 18th. The weather was beautiful and didn't experience any rain and with the exception of the first day the sun was shining. Only at night was my London Fog 3/4 length coat needed. During the day I wore black stretch cotton slacks and shirt or linen jacket. That's it.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM

The USA Today has a very nice website for weather history. The following two addresses will get you London and Atlanta to compare. It looks like May temp in London is like March temp in Atlanta. The AMOUNT of rain in London is about one third Atlanta's. Somebody else may know where to get the number of rain days.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/wlondon.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/clim...a/watlanta.htm

I've always been leary of anecdotal weather reports since I read that on 11/11/11 in Kansas City the temperature was a record 76 degrees by late morning and by midnight it was a record low of 11.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM

we were there mid April. The weather ranged from rainy and cool , necessitating a coat, to sunny and too hot for a sweater !
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

I was also in London around the same time as Madison (18-21 May) and the weather was beautiful. It rained on our last day but still didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves. I also just wore slacks and a very lightweight shirt. But London's weather is very unpredictable so it's always best to be prepared for anything!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:05 AM

it depends. I've been there in March and worn shirt sleeves. I do marvel however at the skimpy summer clothing I see on sale in the windows during that time frame! must be for all the travelers to Spain.

you will only look out of place if it's 10 degrees out and you are wearing shorts. if it gets up to 20, capri away!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:58 AM

HI FromAtlanta--we spent 8 days in the UK in 1998 in May and it was *hot*. I do not know if we had unusual weather but I would estimate it was in the high 70s to low 80s w/o a drop of rain. We had gone prepared w/typical London clothing and we were so sorry that we had no warm weather gear. When we asked the locals if the weather was very unusual, they told us that if it is going to be warm, May is often when that happens. I am still sure this was not typical but it does show the range of possibility. BTW we had this same warm weather in London, Salisbury and Cornwall.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hi FromAtlanta. I've been in England at most times of the year (including late May) and can tell you the weather is nothing if unpredictable. I have learned to dress in "transitional" clothes and be prepared with layers. So yes, khakis are fine (the epitomy of transitional in my book)but make sure you also have different tops for temps between 50-80f. Capris could be fine but maybe not. Since they don't take up much room, if you want to bring some do.

Most all the museums are always free. Check listings on free things on one of the websites or in one of the weekly mags closer to your trip.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:21 AM

We were in London May 12-23. The web weather forecast I checked just before leaving indicated temps in low 60's with chance of rain every day. We arrived to high 60's, low 70's, and sunny for eight days straight. So, you just never know. We didn't see a drop of rain or gray skies until day 9. It only rained off and on one day. Then, it was back to high 60's and sunny our final day. (The only reason I had tossed some warmer weather clothes into my bag was because it was in the 80's at home while I was packing - and I was sure glad to have those along. Though I did wish I had packed my sandals, but after three days went to Clarks and bought a pair.)

Black or khaki slacks will be perfect. I didn't notice a lot of capris, except on very young ladies.

The gardens were spectacular everywhere!