Reload this Page >

Weather/climate/clothes in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:09 PM
Joann

I am traveling to London for the first time this month July 2002. Please describe the weather/climate for me. Looking at the weather forecast I see the high 70s forecasted of course with high humidity. What are the best type of clothes to pack? Shorts, jeans? Does it cool off at night? Thanks for your help.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:47 AM
Ruth

Well, it's very changeable at the moment, with sun, rain, wind, hail, all taking place within an hour. The tennis at Wimbledon was disrupted yesterday due to rain. But you may be lucky, later in July it may be cloudless skies and nice temperatures for days on end - but please don't count on it! Forecasted temperatures are only a guide - it is more like 60 deg F now. <BR><BR>I would bring layers, or be prepared to buy other clothes if you find that you haven't brought the right things. Shorts and jeans will be fine, though jeans are difficult to dry if they get wet through (as happenened to me yesterday). An umbrella and/or a light rain jacket will probably be needed at some time, and yes, evenings will go down to below 60 deg F.<BR><BR>As they say, we don't have a climate in Britain, just weather!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:17 AM
DMR

Just returned a couple of days ago and I wholeheartedly agree with the first poster's advice. Layers are the smart way to go. 65 degrees under an overcast sky in a breeze feels different than the same temp on a sunny day. I found my two most useful layers were a lightweight black blazer and one of those Totes windbreakers that folds up into itself (not stylish but very portable).<BR><BR>You will find plenty of threads here with very good and occasionally contentious advice about clothes, especially the jeans/no jeans debate. I saw plenty of people wearing the full spectrum of fashion. It would be hard to go wrong.<BR><BR>And as noted above, the shopping opportunities in London are endless if you find yourself without the right item.<BR><BR>Have fun on your trip.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:17 AM
anita

I just got back & we packed a variety of clothes. I took 2 lightweight long sleeved shirts (wore 1 on the plane, thank goodness)& a lightweight jacket.I also took several long sleeved t-shirt type tops where I could push up the sleeves if needed. Then I took some short sleeved shirts since we were going to France later where it was hotter.I took 2 pairs of jeans & a pair of decent pants. No shorts but it really only got hot enough for them once. I did use the jacket several times especially on the evening open bus tour.We took umbrellas & also the cheap disposable rain ponchos. Never used either but had them in case.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:42 AM
brr

If you go to the BBC weather site at<BR>http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/<BR>you can see a five day forecast.<BR>It looks as though it is not going to rise as far as 70 for a bit.<BR>Personally I'd leave your shorts at home. They are not really suitable wear in a city. I saw some American tourists in shorts in Chester, admittedly further North than London and they looked frozen. Personally I'd leave your jeans at home too. They are too hot and if it rains they are difficult to dry. Why not wear lighweight cotton trousers?<BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:52 AM
anna

I am in London right now freezing in the layers. I wish I took a coat and boots. It is like October over here.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Cindy

I just returned from our fifth visit to London, and by far the coldest. It was a good thing I insisted that DH pack a sweater, at least. I took a few long sleeves, a few polos, and a couple of pairs of Dockers (non-wrinkle kind). Leave the shorts at home. You might bring a wrinkle free dress or skirt along in case it warms up.