Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Disabled access (elevators) in Munich S-Bahn/U-Bahn

Jul 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I am going to be in Munich this October and a member of my group is disabled. We were wondering if the Munich train/metro system is equipped w/ elevators at their stations? I've heard that some stations have elevators, but do all of them?

Also, if someone knows a site w/ a good map of the Munich S-Bahn/U-Bahn system, that would be great!

Thanks!
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:13 PM
P_M

A few years ago I travelled to Munich w/my mom who is not completely disabled, but stairs were very difficult for her so we were always looking for an elevator. I'm sorry to say that very often we did not find one. That was in 1998, maybe someone else can tell you if this situation has improved since then.
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I am afraid I don't know the website, but last November I was in Munich for few days, I do remember there are several stations without elevators.

However,the buses and trams(street level) are quite convenient for going around town too.
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Here is a link to the Munich trasportation system maps. If the link doesn't work, try www.munchen.de

http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/Tra...622/index.html

I don't believe all stations have elevators.

Curious
Jul 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

We were thinking of staying at a hotel right by the Hauptbanhof train station in Munich. Do people think that station at least has elevators? Is that walking distance from the central Munich sites?

Thanks.
Jul 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Yes, it does have an elevator, right by the main entrance where the taxis drop you off/pick you up. It's right next to the escalator that takes you up to the street level.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM

As far as the subway goes (U-Bahn) ALL stations except for one single one have elevators. That said however, you may need to look for it, eg, at Marienplatz there is only one elevator into the main square. All the S-Bahn stations downtown also have elevators. Whether they're working or not is a different story.

This map shows you the system with all the info for people with decreased mobility. Could only find it in German though, but L means Lift/elevator & Ra means Rampe/ramp. It also shows you stations that have restrooms for wheelchair users (although you may not want to use these...)
Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM

And this map has the entire train system on it:
http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archi...standdez03.pdf
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Forgot to mention the other day that most if not all stations by law are required to have 2 entrances/access points (fire-regulations I believe), but only one will have the elevator. So although it may seem that there is no elevator, try to find the other entrance to the station (which should be somewhere in a 50 yard radius)...
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:22 AM
P_M

That's interesting, and that would explain why we often didn't find an elevator. We must have been looking by the wrong entrance.