Does this make sense?

Aug 5th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Does this make sense?

Rome Nov. 8-13
Florence Nov 13-15
Siena Nov 15-18
Venice Nov. 18-20

I'm going for my honeymoon. Do you think this is too much?
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Are you flying out of Venice on the 21st?
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

We are flying out of Venice on the 20th.
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Sounds like a nice trip. It would be a great trip a couple of months earlier.

Have you considered someplace sunnier and warmer that time of year, like the Greek Islands or Sicily?

Don't get me wrong...those places are wonderful and you will enjoy them anytime of year. I'm just saying...
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM

I would think you would want more time in Venice - if you are coming in on the 18th and out on the 20th, that just gives you a "day" of actual time.

I think you might want to try for maybe just 3 cities instead of 4. IMO, it looks awfully hectic. (especially if you are on your HONEYMOON )
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

I've been to all the warm spots. We love the fall. Maybe I should plan on a day trip to florence from Siena, then add extra time in Venice.
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:30 AM
P_M

The only thing I wouldn't like about this is that you are only allowing 1 full day in Venice. Additionally, November is not the best month to visit Venice because of the flooding. I was there in November 2002 and stayed in Mestre (big mistake) and one day when I took the boat into Venice, we were unable to dock due to high waters. We did get in later that day, but the water was still so high we had to walk on platforms. I had booked a gondola ride for that day, but those were all cancelled due to high waters. I was not able to re-book. So if you go in November, be prepared for the possiblity, although not the certainty, that it will be too flooded to enjoy Venice. I met someone on the plane home and he told me that he was staying in Venice, and there were a couple of days when the water was so high he couldn't even get out of the hotel. Of course, if you're on your honeymoon, being stuck in the hotel might not be so bad. ;-)

Once again, flooding is not a sure thing and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen while you are there, just be advised of the possiblilty. As for the rest of Italy, I thought it was fine in November.

Aug 5th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Never been to Siena, but it seems like the time you're spending there will be better spent in Venice.

Have a great honeymoon!
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Shorten Siena by 1 day and add to Venice!

What about giong to Siena, then Florence since are heading north.

Monica
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:34 AM

I would say the same about Florence...you've only allowed one full day (Sunday).

So why not do 5 nights Rome, 4 nights Siena OR Florence, and 3 nights Venice. You can do a day trip to Florence from Siena, or vice-versa.
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to think about doing Rome, Siena and then Florence? 4 cities is a bit much.
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Just a thought. If I were on my honeymoon, Venice would definitely be on the list. But you're right to be concerened about the weather.

You could make reservations for: Rome 5 nights, Siena 4 (incl. Florence day trip), and Venice 3. Just make sure you choose a Venice hotel with a liberal cancellation policy. Then, when you get to Siena, if weather is a problem you can cancel your Venice time and either stay in Tuscany or replace it with Florence. That time of year you shouldn't have a problem finding replacement accommodations.