London weather/clothing question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to London the first week in April. I realize that asking about April weather in London is like asking about April weather anywhere - who can guess? But, TYPICALLY, is it warm enough for capri or cropped pants? I'm trying to avoid buying a wardrobe for this trip and all my &quot;decent-looking&quot; clothing is pretty wintery. In summer I live in shorts, jeans and capris. Of course, I'll bring my nice dress for the theater or fancy restaurants, but day-to-day stuff? Jeans are limited, shorts are out, so that leaves capris. Or will capris brand me as a complete cretin regardless of the weather?<BR><BR>Beany
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:44 AM
ira

Hi Beany<BR> You can always wear a raincoat.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Regardless of the rain, it will be cool in London in April. Average temps are only around 50 degrees (F). Capri pants are a bit summery, but if you are wearing a raincoat or jacket anyway because its cold, maybe it doesn’t matter so much. You can get the odd warm day, but be prepared for cool spring weather. For historical average temperatures, go to worldclimate.com
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:54 AM

beany, April really is not considered 'summer'..I would not wear capris. <BR>Last time we were in LOndon in April, I was still wearing a warm coat and long pants, and light sweaters. If you hit a surprise warm day here or there, it will be a pleasant surprise but not capri weather.<BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:14 AM

hi Beany<BR><BR>i live 30 miles from London. Today (mid March) I have on... a woolly hooded jumper (sweater) and combat-type trousers. It has been raining today - surprise! April will be warmer and sunnier hopefully, but in April I am generally still wearing winter-type clothes, jeans, combats, fleeces, sweaters. However, I have known April to be T-shirt weather and have managed to sit in the garden and enjoy the sun! My advice - pack jeans, long trousers, sweater, umbrella, and a T-shirt or two
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:19 AM

No!<BR><BR>I live in Washington DC, much warmer than London, and I don't even wear capris here in April. Cropped pants might be possible if they weren't real lightweight, but those kind of pants are best with sandals or slides, anyway, they look kinda dumb with shoes and socks, so you are affecting your entire wardrobe. If you have a winter where you live, you must have some need for decent non-winter pants. You only need one pair and for daytime tourism doesn't need to be fancy -- chinos or lightweight twill pants really don't cost that much, I think you could<BR>afford one pair.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I was in London last year in late April and temperatures were in the low to mid 50s during the day, so it should be even cooler than that in early April. I wore a fleece jacket, but saw many Londoners still wearing their long wool coats, scarves, and hats. You say that all your dencent-looking clothes are winter ones -- I think those are the ones to bring, along with a medium-weight jacket.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Looks like my winter clothes will do just fine. <BR><BR>Beany
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Just gotta add my tuppence: I was in London once in mid-April and it SNOWED! No kidding, I had to borrow a down jacket from the friend I was staying with because I had only brought a raincoat. So, capris? I think not.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 09:01 PM

I've been to London in late march and it was 70s and sunny. so it truly just depends.<BR><BR>just get yourself a few pairs of khakis. you can certainly wear jeans to sightsee, who cares, you should be comfy.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Marilyn, no kidding indeed! It can also snow here in May. In 1976, the year of the hottest summer on record, snow was recorded on June 1st. On the other hand, April can be very pleasant, with temperatures in the 70s on one day, then freezing the next.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I live in northern NJ and am going to London the last week in March. I'm taking the same clothes I wear NOW. My mother will be coming from southwestern Georgia and she's bringing thermal underwear too!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I think thermal underwear may be a going a little too far unless we have the unusual snow situation! Heimdall, I remember that year (1976) very well! we were holidaying in our touring caravan, one of our friends went and bought a sledge and we had a whale of a time down all the snowy hills in April! memories....