London weather

Dec 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

London weather

We'll be in London the first week in April. Can anyone give me an idea of what type of weather to expect?
Dec 26th, 2003, 07:28 PM

It may be cold and rainy the whole week.

On the other hand, it may be warm and sunny.

Expect that you will need to take a raincoat and wear layers (sweaters, etc.). Prepare for the cold rainy weather so you won't be disappointed if that's the weather you end up with. If it does turn out to be warm and sunny, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I've had both types of weather in London in April. You'll have a great time no matter what the weather is.
Dec 26th, 2003, 07:35 PM

There is absolutely no way to tell . . . carrolldf described pretty well what you might expects. Could be warmish and rainy, cold and clear, drizzly and cool, sunny, windy, calm -- or all of the above.

Basically - it won't likely be freezing nor hot.

I always wait to choose my wardrobe for UK trips until a couple of days ahead of time after looking at the next week's forecasts.

The best advice is to take layers and at least one weather proof jacket or raincoat.
Dec 27th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Try www.weatheronline.co.uk for all kinds of information on past, present and future weather. Especially enjoy Philip Eden's UK Diary and Reviews.

Agree wear layers and take a rain coat. London is a wonderful city.

Sandy
Dec 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM

I've been to London in late March, late May and early November. The local weather forecast for London never varied no matter the time of year, it was: "partly sunny with spots of rain." Listening to the weather forecast was always cause for a laugh.

The advice to dress in layers is good. Base how many layers on the forecasted temperature and always be prepared for rain.

Lucky you to be in London in April!
Dec 28th, 2003, 04:31 AM

If it's nice it will be very nice: there's a special sort of silvery light I only ever see on sunny April days in London. And the flowers will be well on their way out.
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the weather info. I see a common thread.... Take layers and we'll love London even in the rain. You've gotten me psyched!
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM

We were in London the last week in March,First week in April last trip there.
It was in the 50's during the days, and of course, colder at night.
Being from NY, we wore the same coats we would here, and we were comfortable. Gloves and scarves are important.
Layers are important because some stores/restaurants are very well heated and if you are like me, you will start peeling off those layers frantically after sitting down for a minute!
I hate raincoats, I carried an umbrella and only needed it one morning.
The crocus and daffodils will be coming up in Hyde Park, lovely~
Go to the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew ( about 15 minutes on the train) you can wander the Greenhouses and be warm and marvel at the plants ... we saw the big stinky one that was not open Thank Goodness!)
Whatever the weather, I think London is beautiful, have a wonderful time!
Dec 28th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Thanks for the answer. We're from CT so it was good to hear how someone in the Northeast compared the weather. I had no idea daffs would be out that early. London is looking better all the time!
Dec 31st, 2003, 04:50 PM

trying to estimate the weather in london is like trying to time the stock market,
thats why the brits are so in to brollies