Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at new hotel Luxembourg Parc in 6e (Paris)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:49 AM
sally

I posted several months ago asking about this but can't get the post back up. I believe this hotel opened earlier this year. So as not to confuse it with similarly named hotels, this one is at 42 rue Vaugirard. I have a reservation there for December and was hoping someone could let me know how there stay there was. How were the rooms - size, quality, cleanliness? Were there places nearby to eat breakfast since the 18 euro breakfast is not included. I also have been thinking about staying at the Hotel de l'Abbaye but do not want to pay an extra 80 euros for a superior room and think that the standard might be tight for me and my mother. especially at that time of year when you have a lot of heavy clothes and may be more inclined to be indoors due to the weather. Thanks

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:46 AM
sally

Okay, I was really hoping that someone could help me out by giving some feedback on this hotel. I know it is a newly opened (about a year ago) and I am really interested to hear any opinions. Other option is hotel st. gregoire or hotel de l'abbaye. Everyone on this board raves about the l'abbaye but I do not want to spend an extra $100 for the deluxe room and I am concerned the standard (cheaper) room will be quite small for my mother and myself. we are going in the winter so we'll have heavy clothes, that take up space and may be indoors a little more than we would be if we were going in the summer.<BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Mark

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Luxembourg Parc Hotel. We are hotel hounds and found much to like about this boutique hotel. First, the staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are spotless and fresh and there is turn down every night. Second, the hotel is across from Jardins de Luxembourg which is the most beautiful park in Paris. The rooms are elegantly decorated, great empire style furniture and beautiful fabrics. The one closet is small but we had lots of hangers and robes and slippers. Our room which had 2 Euro twin beds pushed together to form a king measured about 15 feet by 25 feet. Having stayed in Paris before, I would rate this as a hotel with all the luxury of a larger 4 star and less crowded,only 23 rooms. It is a nice walk to Blve. St. Germain, about 4 blocks, but in a nice quiet area. We had the only room with a terrace, but in December that will not be of concern.<BR>All in all this is a great little hotel, charm abounds. They also let you use their lap top for wireless internet connection for 3 Euros per day. Breakfast was 17 Euros or you can get coffees for 2 for 11 Euros. Other room service comes from Chez Diane, a fabulous little restaurant next door, but it is only open for 3 hours at lunch time and in the evening from 8p. - 11p. Any other questions feel free.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:40 AM
BD

Mark,<BR>Was this another hotel before or is it brand new? Sounds very good! I know that area well and it is very appealing to stay across from the Gardens.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:08 AM
sally

Mark, thanks so much for your response. I think we'll stay there. it sounds great. A couple of questions, is the hotel on rue de vaugirard near St. suplice or farther down the street (toward the 7e)? and are there cafes close by to grab breakfast? I just like a croissant and coffee and don't want to spend 17 euros for it at the hotel. Also, I have heard Chez Diane is good. Did you eat in the restaurant? do I need a reservation there? thank you again for your response.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Al

to the top for Sally

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:22 AM
BTilke

BD, at one time, there was a 2-star hotel (Grand Hotel des Principaut&eacute;s Unies) on the same site, but it closed many years ago and the building languished, boarded up, until its rebirth as the Luxembourg Parc. I wrote the first review of the hotel the week it opened and if you do a search here on Luxembourg Parc, it should come up.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Fluffy

Marc; do you happen to have an email address for the Parc Luxembourg?<BR>much thanks<BR>Fluffy<BR>to thetop<BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Christina

Rue de Vaugirard runs all the way from the 15th arr. through the 6th to bd St Michel in the Latin Qtr. This hotel is down rue Servandoni from St-Sulpice, sort of in front of the Palais du Luxembourg. There are plenty of cafes within walking distance (that's pretty much true anywhere in the central area of Paris). The email is [email protected]

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Mark

Thank you to all who got back to Sally before me. The Luxembourg Parc is about a block from St. Suplice and there are a couple very nice cafes around the square in front of St. Suplice. You will love the area. We ordered room service twice from Chez Diane and went inside once to get a menu, where we met the owners who were very pleasant. The restaurant itself is pricey, but the food we had (particulary the sauce reduction) was very good. If you like chocolate, I had the one chocolate dessert item on the menu and it was amazing. If you are going to the Chez Diane in the evening I would recommend a reservation as it fills up quickly. Have an excellent trip!