Paris Hotel in St. Germain De Pres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling in April to Paris with my wife and 5 year old and am looking for a hotel in St. Germain de Pres for under 200 Euro per night. Nothing too tiny or dingy, but we also don't need to be anywhere hip. Location is key. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34733775
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:08 PM
cbleigh

Grand Hotel des Balcon. 3, rue Casimir Delavigne. Located just off lively Rue Saint Germain. Street side rooms all have lovely little balconies with views of the Odeon Opera. The Odeon Metro stop is very close and you are just a few short blocks from Luxembourg Gardens.

It's a family run hotel. I found it to be very reasonable. There are hotels on the same street which are much more expensive. Hotel Balcons is a very charming hotel. I think they are around 100 euros/night right now.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Sorry, but I would not consider the Grand Hotel des Balcons to be the type of hotel that the original poster is looking for. It's more like a 2*.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I am not sure what the price of this hotel is now but a two years ago we stayed at the Hotel California St Germain. We stayed in a two room suite- it was two rooms with double beds and night stands. The rooms were small but recently refurbished and the bathroom was small but had new fixtures. There were shelves and some closet space for clothing. It was very clean. It was great because our daughter had her own space and we could close the door between rooms for some privacy. Hotel staff were so so. Location was great and breakfast was extra but there was a reasonable selection.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Look into the Hôtel des Marronniers, a three star hotel on Rue jacob. It is conveniently located near Les Deux magots and the St-Germain-des-Prés church. There's also a great bakery (Paul's) nearby. Prices are in the vicinity of 160 Euros. Staff is quite friendly, and it is remarkably quiet given its location.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM

A friend and I stayed at the Villa Pantheon on Rue D'Ecoles. We liked it very much. They had a marvelous breakfast buffet, loads of cheeses, great breads (well, it is Paris so maybe that's a given) and a wide assortment of fruits and meats. Service was marvelous and the front desk was able to handle everything with courtesy. There is a small lobby bar which is quite nice. Our room was comfortable, excellent beds, no street noise, and a large and modern bathroom. I liked it very much. I loved the location. We walked everywhere. It is fun just to remember that happy week. Bon voyage.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM

I was interested in the Villa Pantheon, mentioned above and checked some dates. This one appears to be out of the OP's price range, and mine too. Saw prices from 250 to 310 Euro for a standard double, in April.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
cbleigh

francophile03:
"Sorry, but I would not consider the Grand Hotel des Balcons to be the type of hotel that the original poster is looking for. It's more like a 2*."

The original poster did not state that he was looking for only 3* hotels, he simply asked for a recommendation for a hotel in St. Germain for under 200 euro. He asked for nothing too tiny or dingy, and in my opinion, Hotel Balcons fits his description.

boxtobe:
I just checked and their rates run between 100-150 euros per night for a double, 180 euro for a triple, which you may want because of your child. Check out their site for yourself and read the postings on trip advisor. Frankly I found this 2* hotel to be more charming that the 3* one I stayed in on the previous trip.

http://www.paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/index.html

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Judging from what boxtobe describes and from what I read at Trip Advisor, cbleigh, the Balcons isn't the type of hotel he/she is looking for. One guest said the linens were 'gaudy' and 'worn'. Another's photos depict a room that's got loud drapes and bedspread. I can understand your liking this place as it's how you feel about it. But I'm just interpreting what the op is seeking vs. what the hotel offers.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...82.hwoink_html
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM

My wife & I stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons in 2004 and found it quite nice. Location was good and hotel was very adequate.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I agree. We stayed there too and loved it and the area. However whether it is what boxtrobe wants is up to him/her.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Sorry, I read the question again and boxtobe is obviously male. The rooms are rather small so perhaps would not be what he wants.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM

we also stayed at the hotel california
st germain in march of 04. okay rooms,
decent price (just went online and including breakfast is 162 euros, 150
without, just a cold buffet, so personally I would skip that part) the
location was perfect to everything. I
found the staff to be quite pleasent,
Sophie helped me practice my French..
would stay there again
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the input. Would I do better in the Marais with my budget of 200 Euros?
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM

i have been looking at a great website recommended here called www.france-hotel-guide.com, and also www.venere.com has reviews, besides of course, www.expedia.com.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:43 PM

We have stayed at the HOtel de Fleurie in St. Germain ( at Odeon Metro station ) several times and would stay there again . . good location, efficient staff and nice rooms.

http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr

Rich
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM

The Marais doesn't have that many hotel choices. They're not that cheap either. I would really suggest you try Ile St. Louis which is, to me, equidistant from the Marais and the Latin Qtr./St. Germain des Pres districts. I loved staying at the simple yet charming Hotel de Lutece. www.paris-hotel-lutece.com

I used to read others' comments here about how staying on the island (Ile St. Louis) will charm you forever. It's certainly true! It's as though you got your own piece of Paris for yourself especially at night when the crowds go home to the mainland.

The Lutece has another well-regarded hotel a few doors away called Hotel des Deux Iles.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:58 PM

We were at the Henri IV Rive Gauche on Rue St Jacques in December. It's between St Germain and the Seine and a block from St. Michel- a great location. We paid 162 E/night and had a lovely room. According to their website a triple is 182 Euro. It's a 3 star and I highly recommend it. Breakfast was 11 Euro extra and so we decided to skip it . We found the best bakery a block away with the yummiest almond croissants I have ever eaten and ate their most mornings.