Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at any of these Barcelona hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost done with my planning process for ***inexpensive*** centrally located Barcelona hotels. After extensive research there are the hotels I found with rooms available in the end of March. Which is best? Alll are in that magic 100 euro range.

1. Hotel Urquinaona www.hotelurquinaona.com
2. Hotel Montblanc www.hcchotels.com
3. Hotel Taber www.hcchotels.com
4. Hotel Espana www.hotelespanya.com
5. Hotel Colon www.hotelcolon.es

I would appreciate any other ideas but I have been online for 3 days and I bet I already checked it (including the Continental and banys Orientals).

Thanks!

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Hi ricardab,
I'm not familiar with the first 3 on your list, but I do know the Hotel Colon, but I can't imagine that you can snag a room for 100 euros. If you do, grab it! The Colón is quite pricey, but around the corner you'll find its far less expensive little sister, the Regencia Colón. It's an Alistair Sawday selection and has received decent reviews here.
Also the AB Vildromat on the west side of the Eixample would be well within your price range, although it seems you would prefer the Barri Gotic/El Borne area.
www.hotelabviladomat.com/index.english.html
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Hi, Maribel (and anyone else!).
I am booked for 4 nights this July at the Meson Castilla, and wondered which location was more convenient, that one or the one where the Hotel AB Viladomat is located? Would you choose one over the other? The Meson Castilla looks more old world, compared to the hip style of the more modernist Viladomat, so I guess I was wondering if the MC was too dated.
Paule
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:20 PM

When I went to Barcelona in October 2003, I couldn't afford the Hotel Colon. So I stayed at the Meson Castilla. I second that it is a comfortable place to stay and not too far from the Ramblas.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:31 PM

richardab,
I would second the Mesón Castilla as well, as I've stayed there in a single room a number of times. I'm not sure that a double now fits into the 100 euro range, it may be more, but certainly do check!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Me again, richardab,
I just checked the rates at
www.mesoncastilla.com and the standard doubles WITH buffet brk. run 122, but they still have single rooms with brk. for 95 euros.
Don't know if you need a single or double...
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:17 PM
ecl

Hi Maribel Could I please get a copy of your Barcelona file? My email is [email protected] Thanks alot.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I am actually looking for a single AND a double.
We are serious considering the Hotel Urquinaona because of its low price. As long as it's clean and comfortable. We'd rather have extra money to EAT.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Maribel what is the "Barcelona File?"
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM

Hi everyone,
It is certainly very informative to read all your posts. We have just begun looking for a hotel in Barcelona for an end of April stay. Hope we are not too late.

Maribel, I was wondering what your file is? Is it a report of your trip to Barcelona?
I would like to have a copy of it if you are emailing it to posters on this board. My id is [email protected]

Thanks.

Barna
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:31 AM

We are going to be in Barcelona in late April as well and are already having problems booking a hotel. Who knew that would be so busy a time? We're torn between staying near the water or closer to the city center. We've worked really hard the last 12 months and feel like we really deserve to treat ourselves to nice hotels on this trip, but still don't want to spend a fortune.

Okay, you seasoned Spain travellers: Where in Barcelona would you stay if you had those requirements and were on your first trip to Spain? Hope this helps others on this thread as well...
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I know i went thru what seemed like hundreds of hotels to find a place, and i am not even sure if it is good!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Progol - to answer you question about convenience of Meson Castilla vs. AB Viladomat:

Meson Castilla is, IMHO, a much better location. It is close to Placa Catalunya. I didn't see Viladomat until I was on a bus leaving Barcelona - it is much farther away from Pl. Catalunya and La Rambla.

I had looked into it, and once I saw where it was, I was glad I didn't stay there.

I stayed at Hostal Palacios, also about 2 blocks from Pl. Cat., and was quite happy there.

Karen
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Thanks, Karen. I appreciate the advice, and have concluded that I'm going to keep my reservation at Meson Castilla. And not to obsess about every suggestion of where to stay!