Barcelona hotel recommendations

Sep 11th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona hotel recommendations

Does anyone have any hotel recommendations in Barcelona, either in the areas of l'Eixample, or possibly Las Ramblas (but not too noisy). Our budget would be about 85-100 Euros per night if possible.

Thanks,
Susan
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM

If you're wiling to go just a little higher, price-wise, one of the Apsis hotels might work such as the Atrium Palace www.apsishotels.com
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:46 PM

l'Eixample is huge, make you sure you check the map. Best not to be too far from Passeig the Gracia.
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:46 PM

We have a double room booked at Hostal Girona (near the Placa Catalunya, at the north end of Las Ramblas) for a few days at the end of this month. It seems to get good reviews. I found it on frommers.com, which has a good list of budget lodging. Then I did a search for reviews on tripadvisor.com. My husband and I are paying 55 euro/night.
Sep 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

SusanAlexandra,
I'm monitoring the Barcelona L'Eixample hotel prices (with a spreadsheet!). For under 100 euros, I've found the following for the fall/winter:

3 star Hotel Astoria
www.derbyhotels.es

3 star AB Viladomat
www.hotelabviladomat.com

3 star Apsis Aranea
www.hotelaranea.com
Sep 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for these great suggestions!

I was quoted 56 Euros/night at the Hostal Girona and 90 Euros per night at the Viladomat Hotel in l'Eixample.

Which is better value? The Hostal is much less, but is in a different area - what do you think?

Thank you,
Susan
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM

SusanAlexandra,

The Girona is in a much more central location than the Viladomat.

We stayed in the Girona in January 2004 & were very happy with it but I think I would only stay there if I could get one of the outside rooms overlooking the street. There are interior rooms which overlook a stairwell & I would imagine that they would be pretty dull - I doubt that they get much natural light.

I suppose my trip report is a wee bit outdated now but if you have a look you'll find more details on the Girona;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34467790

Jim
Sep 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM

SusanAlexandra,
Have you checked the Apsis Aranea at www.utell.com?
I've seen it there as low as 75 euros and for 80 at www.placestostay.com and for 60 at www.halconviajes.com (in Spanish only)
Perhaps thru a discount internet booking site?

The Girona has the best, as in most central location of the 3, but at the other 2 you would have full hotel services, if that matters.
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which hotel is better -- the Astoria or the Apsis Aranea?
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM

The Astoria has the better location, at least for me.
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:28 PM

I enjoyed the Hostal Girona with a few comments. First of all it was confusing getting in, you had to use a call box. Fortunately the taxi driver did that for us. Secondly, it was confusing trying to find the managers office. It was actually on the third floor. He did speak english and was very helpful. via the internet we were able to get a balcony room with a shower. The only uncomfortable part was that the toilet was down the hall. There were many very friendly restaurants within walking distance. Other than the toilet realization, we enjoyed our stay. BS
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM

We stayed at the Hostal Girona last week and enjoyed our time there. I'm glad we reserved an exterior room, since the interior ones are probably quite dark. But we loved our balcony and the views of the other buildings... we felt like a real part of the city. The room was spacious and had a small shower and a sink; two very clean toilets were down the hall. The furnishings and decor felt very traditional. One of the employees, a young woman, didn't speak much English at all, which was a bit challenging, but we got by!

Overall the hostal is a good choice, and we loved the location... an easy walk to Placa de Catalunya (where the Aerobus stops) and La Rambla, as well as the El Born neighborhood. And there's a supermarket and internet cafe just down the block.
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I jsut booked the Apsis Aranea for 129. Euros per night for next May - there is a reduction for a stay of 3 nights or more. Reviews on Tripadvisor are very good.