Hotel recommendation in Barcelona

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendation in Barcelona

My husband and I are flying into Barcelona the a.m. of May 11th for two nights. We are looking for a hotel in the La Rambla area - we have checked several, but all are booked - does anyone know of some event or convention going on in the city on those dates? Or, are hotels always booked a couple months out? We are not familiar with the city and not sure what area to look in.

We are also looking for a hotel in Florence and Rome - any suggestions? Need to keep the costs Under $200/nite -
Thank you for your time - Karen
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Suggest you check with www.venere.com - you can put in your dates and part of the city. We were there about the same time last year (and also had a difficult time gettting hotel)I think there is some sort of motor race around that time.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I don't know if something is going on.

I stayed last year at the Apsis Atrium palace and got an internet rate of 130 Euros. Nice hotel, near but not on Las Ramblas ( which to me is an advantage)
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the Barcelona hotel rec - it was booked and the cost now is $240 Euros - he hotel recommended another, but that too was booked - guess it's High Season rates - but it looked great! will keep searching - thx again - Karen
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Karen:

Do you live in WG? I have a friend with the name Morais.

We stayed in a place I found in the Rick Steves book: Nouvel Hotel. It is located just off the Ramblas. It was just OK, but clean and great location. We paid 120 Euro for a triple.

www.hotelnouvel.com

At the same time, friends of ours were about a block away at the Hotel Catalonia Albinoni:

www.hoteles-catalonia.com
They liked it very much.

Here is the link to our very long & boring trip report:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34828166

MY
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Dear MY - WG, yes - some of the family live there - thx for the hotel suggestions - they were both booked, unfortunatelhy! We did find one, reviews a little iffy, but the location was good - thx again -
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Karen:

Have you tried any Rick Steves suggestions? You may luck out or perhaps have to upgrade.

I also live in the Delta. Love eating at Giusti's.

MY
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM

www.hotel-splendid.com/
Eixample, Barcelona - 95 Euro + 6.5 pp breakfast in early May.
M
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM

We are staying at Hotel Inglaterra in July, 4 nights "superior double" for 430 euros, tax included. 3 minutes from Plaza Cataluna. Check their website: HotelInglaterra-Barcelona.com
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Dear MY - send me your email address - also on your suggestion re Rick Steve's - I've been on his site a few times and cannot locate a specific link to hotel suggestions ??? is there one? thx - we did get a hotel in Barcelona's 'red lite district' should be interesting - but it is close to everything - and reasonable! we are on 'COUNTDOWN EUROPE' - leave the 17th - only have one more hotel to book in Lisbon - thx for your posting info - Karen
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Dear Mikemo and Epaulino - Thank you for the hotel recommendations - both were BOOKED ! We found one via Venere, Barbara Hotel, [email protected] - the reviews were pretty good, except for the 'red lite district' - booked at 155 Eur - two nights - if we find something better, we are open to change. Are either of you familiar with this hotel or the area? We were glad to get it and are satisfied now - will post after our trip re out selections - we did not use a travel agent - that is the good news AND the bad news - so we'll see how we did ! We were successful in getting a sleeper train Madid to Lisbon luckly - that was the nightmare last week. Thx again for your reply - Karen
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Try Hotel America in Barcelona. We stayed there last April. I forgotten the price but I think it was fairly good. It was a great location - safe neighborhood, shopping and good restaurants nearby - wonderful pastry shop down the street - and the hotel was quiet and very clean. I'll try to dig up the price for you.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Dear Chestnut - wow - nice hotel - but unfortulately - booked for 11-13 May - thank you, I heard from someone earlier that there may be some kind of a race going on that weekend - hence - ALL the booked hotels - whatever it is, glad we will be there to partake - thx again - Karen
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Last year (Oct) we stayed at a really nice apartment just off Placa Catalunya. We got off the bus from the airport and they were soliciting among all the tourists getting off the bus from the airport. We looked at what they had, but passed -- thinking we might do better at the Tourist Info office right there. We did NOT do any better at the TI -- it was, in fact, a waste of time IMHO. you might check them out in your search:

www.WelcomeApartments.com
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

geez. I never finished that post -- anyway we went back and found the folks with the apartment. The guy managing them is originally from Canada and so he is easy to communicate with

We were VERY happy with the accomodation, and having a small apartment walkable to so much was delightful. It was VERY secure, as well.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM

On May 13 it's the F1 World Championship at Montmeló (it is very near from BCN) so I supposed everything should be booked for the weekend...I don't believe you can get anything better.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I meant "I suppose" , sorry
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Thx - You are right - just checked it out on the web - http://www.vilaweb.cat/www/diariesco...cia?id=2313781

Grand Prix of Barcelona - very big deal - !
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:28 AM

you might want to try the H10 chain of hotels - google it and their website will come up so you can search on availability in Barca.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM

my wife and i just got back from Barcelona. we to had quite a bit of trouble locating a nice, central hotel. we decided to go the apartment route and are very pleased with the outcome. we went thru a company that specialzes there: http://www.holiday-velvet.com/barcelona