Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Hotels - Overwhelmed and can't look at the computer anymore!

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, believe me, I've done the research...so please don't just tell me to look at other threads! I really need your help!

Here's my deal - I'm a 24 year old girl and am going to Barcelona for 4 nights with my mother who's a blast. We want a nice hotel, in a great, happening part of town. We don't want to have to cab it or take the train everywhere we go - we want bars, restaurants, nightlife, and attractions...

I was there last summer, but did the hostal/apartment thing, and stayed on las ramblas. I noticed there aren't any (at least reasonable) hotels on this street, but does anyone know of anything not far off? I don't want to be up near Gaudi Park

I was looking into Hotel Inglaterra. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Our budget is around $200/night, but are flexible.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Hi,

We went to Barcelona a few years and stayed at the Hotel Colon www.hotelcolon.es located in front of the Cathedral. I believe it's a 4 star hotel. The rooms were being refurbished at the time. We liked the hotel and the location was great for sightseeing. However, we only stayed one night so I can't tell you if it was near the "nightlife". I remember we went walking to a very nice resturant that night.

I'm sure others with more current info will chime in.

Good luck!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I have been in this hotel in Las Ramblas and I liked it a lot :
http://www.hroyal.com/en/index.htm
I think it's in your price range, even cheaper , it's a 4 stars
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM

When I went to Barcelona with my daughter several years ago we stayed at the Banys Oriental in the Born district right near the Picasso museum. I thought the location was ideal--near restaurants, bars and walking distance to Las Ramblas--and the rate (at that time) was well within your price range. I hope my daughter refers to me as 'a blast'!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Colon the first time we were in Barcelona together. It's in a good location and very touristy. But good for walking. We were in Barcelona last summer and stayed the Hotel Condes de Barcelona. It is located on the Passeig de Gracia, this is a very fashionable section filled with upscale stores and restaurants and hotels. This is also filled with buildings designed by Gaudi. I would go back in a hearbeat.
We're going to Italy this year, but I would give up Italy and be in the Costa Brava with out hesitation. Have a wonderful time with your mother.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Iam posting this from the Apsis Atrium Palace in Barcelona..great location for just about everything.

I love the Colon and have stayed there as well..unfortunately the cathedral is under scaffolding right now so the views from the hotel aren't as nice as they normally would be.

Hot and humid here now...hopefully when you arrive it will be cooler.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 03:49 AM

The Banys Oriental is in a great location (I've stayed just round the corner in an apartment), and according to a recent UK newspaper article is rated highly as good value-for-money. We tried to book a room for visiting friends but they were fully booked; it looks really nice though.

http://www.secretplaces.com/sp/1/hot..._Orientals.asp
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Try Raco del Pi. 5 minutes walk away from the Ramblas. In the gothic area. Loads of bars and restaurants. On a pedestrianised street.

Diz01
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I would like to recommend the Lleo hotel very near the top of Las Ramblas..just off the Plaza de Cataluña
where the Aerobus picks up and drops off. You can walk from there to the hotel. I would ask for room facing
patio in the back. Should be under
your budget. You might request a
room with sitting room (facing patio) adjadent to bedroom area. (Patio
means light but not a patio to sit in.)

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:43 AM

Hi,
My husband and I were just in Marid and Bacelona- got back the 26th of July. We stayed at the Hotel Colon-- a great place to stay. Right near the Gothic Quarter which was in the center of alot of activity. Lots of good cafes and places to have a drink or tapas. Lots of shops. We loved the hotel and the area. The cathedral is under construction but so what. We didn't mind it one bit. We saw the National Catalonian dance performed by many vacationing spainards.
Las Ramblas is fun area-- kind of hokey but so much fun. Walking down it is a treat. Don't forget to see the market while you walk on the Ramblas. We loved Barcelona and the hotel was lovely and charming. It is about $215 with tax. A good healthy breakfast comes with the room.
natjgc PS There are manyplazas that offer nightlife that you can walk to