Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hania Crete - suggestions for moderate seaview room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, we are staying in Hania for 4 nights in October and I would love to have a seaview. We want to stay in the old town or on the harbour. I've tried Casa Leone but they have a 5 night minimum, also cost is a little high. We want to spend roughly 100 euro, don't need all the extras, just a comfy bed and a decent shower - and the view!

Any suggestions? I read that the Nostos Hotel is very noisy, has anyone had experience of staying there? What about the Amphora/Amfora? Other places? We prefer small places with character.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Kay
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
mjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not have any suggestions in your price range but I should note that the harbor gets very noisy. The old town is next to the harbor so if you have a sea view which is close to the harbor it will be busy and noisy.
The only way to do this would be to find a room high up away from the harbor and I do not know of any except for the Casa Delfino which has one room with a roof sitting area which has a great view but out of your price point.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Friends of mine stayed in Nostos overlooking the Harbour a few years ago. Very cheap and cheerful, but fantastically located
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I can see that a seaview equals harbour which equals restaurants and noise!

Sheila, did your friends remark at all on the noise at Nostos? Just wondering how bad it gets.

Thanks, Kay
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Hi Kay,

We are in Chania for four nights at the end of August. We're booked at the El Greco - third floor room with balcony on a pedestrian street and side seaview. Take a look at TripAdvisor - we booked based on some positive reviews.

I don't have my notes with me but I believe we are paying around 90 euro a night including breakfast.

Cheers,
Hana
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:23 AM

They didn't. I've stayed on the harbour myself further round (albeit at Easter) and had no problems except on Friday and Saturday nights.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help, I shall look into the Nostos and the El Greco.

As my husband said, we'll be too tired most of the time to worry about noise, as the first night we will have had a very early flight and another night we will have walked the Samaria Gorge and will no doubt be knackered!

Kay
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

After checking lots of places, we've booked at Pandora Suites which looks lovely. So pleased to get that sorted!
Thanks for everyone's help.
Kay
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:16 AM

I love the look fo that place, and it's way above the harbour so you get eth views without the noise. I wouldn't have thought it was "moderate" though
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sheila,
Cost is 93 euro, or about 65 pounds per night incl. breakfast. That's not too bad, most other places I tried were dearer, except Nostos which was marginally cheaper.
Kay