Help with Crete accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide among three places to stay in Chania. All three have reasonable rates for a room that can accomodate 2 adults and 2 children. Just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with any of the following: Iason Studios, Neli Studios, and Casa Veneta. We're planning to travel mid-June 2008 and, with 2 children along, I'm hesitant to arrive with no reservations. Thanks.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:46 AM

I think you're right about not arriving with kids and no room in June.

I don't know any of these personally, but I'd go with the first or the third. The second one is on a very busy tourist street (I think), and from the photos above a bar.

I like the presentation on teh web of teh first one better, and I love the location. The third one is OK, and I see that Sunvil use it- we've holdayed ith them and they're pretty classy in their choices- but I just like the look of the first one more.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM

I was in Chania 2 weeks ago and Iason Studios is in a nice location, I didn't go into the rooms or anything but I had considered them as a place to stay on my visit so I took notice when I saw their sign. Plus if you have a car it's an easy walk to the municipal parking area.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM

We were also in Hania about 2 weeks ago & stayed at a place in the old harbor area called Porto del Colombo. We liked it a lot. It is clean, well located but not on a busy street, and has character. No elevator though, so if you have lots of luggage ask for a room on a lower floor.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your input. I've decided to stay at Iason Studios. The rate (55 euros) is great and I think the location is good. Can't wait to see Chania.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Take a look at Ammos resort. It's 5Km from town but right on the beach, great pool, everything you need. The bus goes right past to get to town.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM

In response to Chop suggestion re Ammos: yes the pool is a great plus, but as I recall the Ammos room rates are a great deal higher, and the OP indicates a need to watch the budget.

The OP also doesn't indicate the ages of the children and -- if they're under teen age, I'd always be leery of being a bus ride away from the hotel rooms. What if a child gets tired/cranky/not feeling well? If within walking distance, one parent can take the tot back. If not, then everybody has to go.

As for swimming in June, the town beach isn't bad before high season. From Iason walk west along the shore. at first it's rocky & icky, but keep going about 1/2 KM and it widens & is sandy & has sun-chairs,you'll see Greeks basking there. The water is shallow, so may be warm enough in June --- At least as warm as pools are, since in greece pools are never heated.

PS:I had correspondence with Iason in early 2006, didn't book because needed a triple, but they were very prompt and helpful.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM

we stayed at the Neli studio and liked it. It was clean and right in the middle of old town, which means it'll be convenient if you won't be having a car. we had a car and it took us quite a while to find a free parking spot for the car...
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion of Ammos, Chop. I had originally planned on staying there since they were quite reasonable two years ago when I first started thinking about Crete. Since that time, it appears they've remodeled and only have "garden suites" (no sea view) suitable for families now and the posted rate is 150 euros. With the euro/dollar exchange rate being so awful, I'm trying very hard to stay under 100 euros a night. I'm still torn between Neli and Iason, but I think I'll stick with Iason since they've been so prompt and friendly and it appears it may be easier to park our rental car near there. I'm assuming we can drive out of Chania to nicer beaches if need be. Thanks to all for your input.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM

My husband and I spent four nights at Neli Studios in September 2006. These family owned rentals are very clean. Some rooms are quite small. I would request an apartment or large studio. It is nicely located near the harbor and restaurants. We did not think the location noisy at all. The air conditioning really works, and you do control it yourself. This family is very helpful and most speak English. We would definitely stay here again.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Hi. We were in Crete this summer with our 2 kids ages 5 & 7 and stayed at the Ammos in one of their Garden room suites and it was perfect for us. The hotel is on the higher price range, but for us it was worth it. We were there during a major heat wave and were so glad to have a nice cool pool AND be right on the beach. Also, they have a great resturant with lunch, dinner, poolside service etc., which was convenient with kids and the staff were extremely friendly and kind to the kids. Also, the a/c in the room worked very well!!! The room was very spacious and had a kitchenette & fridge which was nice. We had a rental car and drove into Chania to visit during the day as well as one night for dinner. For us, having the pool was real important, but for others, perhaps being in the middle of Chania proper may be important, in which case the Ammos doesn't fit the bill.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM

An excellent resource for places to stay in Crete is Cretetravel.com. We used them extensively for our 2006 trip.