Round Ireland with a Wheelchair?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Ireland in May -- three days in Dublin and then some time in Dingle, Galway, Killybegs, the north coast, and points in between.

I am, in the words of the Creaky Traveler (http://tinyurl.com/2h3wwd), mobile but not agile. I can walk and climb a flight of stairs, but not well. I know a wheelchair would be useful in Dublin, but I don't know how useful it would be in Dingle or Galway and other areas.

Has anyone traveled in Ireland with a wheelchair? Any suggestions or comments would be most welcomed.

el
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Galway is fine with a wheelchair, dingle should be fine in the village area as well. Just mention to any hotels and B&B's you want a ground floor room or wheelchair access. Most hotels have 1-2 wheelchair rooms. Its tough in irland with wheelchair access but still doable and slowly improving. Best of luck!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM

To my perception/experience, Ireland is not handicapped-friendly. I use a walking stick (by necessity). I asked for a handicapped accessible WC at an Hotel (Spanish something) in Galway: the Desk Clerk told me I had to go through the Bar which was at the bottom of 4-or-5 steps, then turn left and go up a set of stairs to the restrooms (which didn't have any handrails). I encountered pretty much the same thing in Balliná (County Mayo).

These were both 4-star Hotels. They don't seem to understand 'handicapped accessible.'
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I agree ned but they are changing and the whole EU thing makes us start to standardise across Europe and this is one area that will eventually be targeted. many newer hotels have the access but its the older ones that have to step into line. In the Old ground in Ennis they had only two but it was great for my relatives as it meant they could come and stay overnight.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I can walk a bit and climb a few stairs with a little help, but it's nice to know I can use a chair in Galway and Dingle.

el