weekend in Ireland

Apr 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

weekend in Ireland

I will be travelling to Ireland for a weekend (3 days, 2 nights) from London in July. I originally was thinking Dublin, but started leaning toward Cork after reading a bit more. I would really like a trip that is going to show me the amazing scenery I've heard about, and provide me with a local flavor. I would love to visit at least one castle, or be able to tromp around the grounds and take some photos. I am a 20-something female travelling alone, which I don't think should be a problem there... Any advice? (I am pretty open - I don't have my heart set on any particular area/city.) I do not want to rent a car - just fly in and take whatever transportation is necessary (bus, walk, etc).

As far as what I would like to do when I'm there... Take photos, maybe horseback ride, meet some amazing people and experience a local pub. Other than that, anything that comes my way!

Thanks!!
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:17 PM

herrz,

My very favorite area in Ireland is Dingle and the Dingle peninsula. The people are great, the pubs are charming and many, and if you want to take pictures, you could easily take at least 1000. I am not sure which castle is closest, but am sure there is one that could be seen on your short stay. Don't know if you are interested, but Dingle is breath taking.

Where ever you end up, have a great trip!

Suse
Apr 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM

First let me say as the father of a 20- somthing young lady and having spent 31 years as a copper in a Northeastern City Yes it can be a problem. If you can get a traveling companion do so. Cities in Ireland are much like cities around the world.
If you only have two nights I would say Cork Our Galway. You can get a direct flight from London, and I would lean toward Cork. Second thought see if you csn fly into Farronfore (Not sure of the spelling) which is just outside of Killarney. Ross Castle, lots of pubs and good bus service. Have fun and stay safe.
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Since you are using public transportation and want to see the beauty of Ireland rather than the cities, I suggest Killarney. It can be crowded in the summer but it makes an excellent base for touring the southwest. You can easily get tours of Dingle, Ring of Kerry, the Gap of Dunloe, etc. from Killarney. I would suggest making reservations once you decide where you want to stay. It is high season after all.

You can fly into Kerry Airport in Farranfore and easily get a taxi into Killarney: http://www.kerryairport.ie/

Apr 7th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hi herrz:

The Kerry airport would give you options to get to Dingle and areas around the Ring of Kerry. Public transportation is not the best in Ireland and catching some horseback riding (pony trekking) would be pretty difficult by way of that. You might consider getting a day tour of any of a number of areas from there. Consider Deros tours (http://www.derostours.com/) which operates out of Killarney for tours of the RoK, Dingle and the Gap of Dunloe, more than enough to fill your days there. They run about E23-25 per trip. Public transportation would be cheaper but probably wouldn't give you the opportunity to see as much.

Killarney sold it's soul to tourism over a century ago and many of the pubs are made for tourism theme shows. The place will be very crowded in July. None-the-less, if you ask the right person, you may be able to find some interesting pubs where the patrons aren't jammed in on benches to see "the show".

Personally, I'd get a car. You could spend a lot of time figuring out bus schedules and not much time seeing Ireland.

You could see a lot of Co. Clare by landing in Shannon. Doolin will be packed in July, but the Cliffs of Moher are nearby and would be beautiful after the crowds of left. There are lots of nice towns with some good pubs like Ennis, Lahinch etc and you could probably catch some good music.

Hope this helps.

Bill