Gypsy festival in Camargue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be a Gypsy festival in Camargue in late May, right around the time I was thinking of visiting Provence. Is this an interesting event or one to avoid? My main focus is on photography (no pun intended).
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
dln

The festival you are referring to is held in Stes Maries-de-la-Mer. We have never gone to it, but the town itself is nothing extraordinary--just an ordinary seaside resort which seems to cater largely to the camping crowd. The Camargue, however, might hold your interest if you enjoy nature photography. And the town of Aigues-Mortes with its ancient town walls is just to the northwest, and it is lovely beyond words. I could have taken a million photos there!

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is a two day event, rooms will be inpossible to fuind and pickpockets galore are out, The saints are Mary Magdalene, Mary Salome and their Egyptian servant Sarah. Sarah is considered the patron saint of gypsies,known as the Black Madonna, that's why May 24, 25 are celebrated each year. Years ago when I was there it was not the gigantic event it is now, The gypsys come from all over, and tourists have grown to see the horse racing running of the bulls and music. and many drunks! There's a mass and an all night virgil. The next day, the three saints statues are taken to the sea where the Camargue cowboys ride their horses into the water up to their necks. The bishop of Arles blesses the sea. The festival starts after the statues are brought back to the church.
Unless you are staying in Arles, parking will be imossible, as the gypsys come from all over in their caravans.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM

sorry, typos!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM

This sounds fascinating. Luvtotravel, if you go, please post your fotos. I'd LuvtoSeeThem
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I forgot to add the locals will be dressed in their costumes, the Arlesian dress and the Guardian gear.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM

"The gypsies come from all over in their caravans" They also come in Mercedes! We went one year and it is a photographer's paradise. Of course, it was a while ago and, it sounds like it has changed. We were renting a house near Montpelier so we went early in the week so we could go down in the church and see Sarah. During the festival, only the main gypsies and local dignitaries were allowed in the church. Then, we went back for the festival. If you go, you will get some incredible pictures. Report back to us, please. CJ
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Some friends have gone the last two years and report that while it's great fun, it's also great hassle, and the number of tourists compared to gypsies is starting to become noticeable.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:54 PM
machin

This sounds like it could be an adventure. We have always wanted to visit the Camargue. Thank you Cigale and Carol. What is the weather like in that month?

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Gardyloo - I'm sorry to hear that tourists are outnumbering gypsies. When we were there we were certainly in the minority. It was fascinating to see the reunions, where people were catching up on events since they had last met. But I understand---
on the same trip, we went to the Pont du Gard and I climbed up on top, (after driving down and parking in a dirt area.) Last month, we were in the area and you couldn't even see the place without paying a fee, on either side of the river.
So, I don't know what the gypsy festival would be like now. The same trip, we saw the running of the sheep around St. Remy and the running of the bulls in Nimes so you might want to look into these as good photo ops. CJ
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:22 AM

luvtotravel:

The festival has become very popular with tourists, but it's always been a pretty busy time in Les Saintes. If your interest is photography, I'd say go ! Just take the usual precautions of leaving nothing in your car and do't take anything of value with you - do'nt let go of your camea !

The weather is hard to predict, but it's usually quite warm at that time of year here. The main festival, when they have the procession to the sea, is always on the Sunday closest to the 25th of May.

Patricia
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM

We leave tomorrow, 5/18 and will be in the area until Memorial Day. You say that the main festival, when they have the procession to the sea, is always on the Sunday closest to the 25th of May. Which Sunday would that be this year since May 25 is Wed - in the middle of the week? Is it the Sunday before or after may 25 this year?

If we visit this area any time during this week, will we see some of the activities?
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM

ttt....since we are leaving later today and hoping for an answer before our departure.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM

so sorry I didn't see this sooner! not sure who said the processional had to occur on a Sunday, but when I went down in 2001, the 24th fell on a Thursday & they had it then, and in 2002 it fell on a Friday & we walked down there then! I'm so jalouse of luvtotravel! YES! Photos photos photos! I hope they take lots of photos! subtle things, grand things... don't miss a thing! Brilliant... it isn't even the actualy event that's so breathtaking [although seeing those gorgeous Camargue ponies galloping together with their guardian riders toward the Mediterranean Sea is stunning] but it's the people... the pickpocket family who sing & play fandangos & rumbas by the town church, the little girl with flamenco dress that's too big for her jumping in the water, seeing & hearing Urs Karpatz perform as you have some cafe au lait & pain au beurre et confiture in the morning.... so jalouuuuse!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Hi

Some photos taken in Ste Marie de la Mer yesterday :

http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/la...butions-14.htm

Peter
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:59 AM
rex

Seeking mpprh...

Will you be re-posting that e-mail about the canal traveling-partner seeker?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM

Hey Peter, wow, I've been off this thing for a while! that link doesn't work for me.... can you repost? pretty please
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM

...and cigalechanta, can you reply here? Who are you? I was going to ask about that Pepe guy's cd you mentioned in the long ago "thieves & scoundrels" -thread that seems to have been shut down, thankfully.... how long have you been going down to Les Saintes?
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Hi

The link is now : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/ph...butions-14.htm

I've rewritten my site since the original posting

Peter