Shopping in Rome

Search

Shopping in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Rome

Is there a street market in Rome similiar to the one in Florence? I bought a great pashmina scarf for 10E in May and would love to buy more in Rome when I visit in September. The euro is too high for serious shopping. Are there any special bargains?
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:13 PM

Try Via Sannio, near San Giovanni. It is a street market open from monday to friday (or also saturday, I don't remember well). Anyway, you take the Metro line A, get off at SAN GIOVANNI, the street market is right near the COIN department store.
You can also try Via Tuscolana. It's a popular shopping street and on the sidewalk there are lots of stalls selling all sorts of things. Take the Metro A and get off at Lucio Sestio and walk along Via Tuscolana up to Subagusta (it's about 3 metro stops).
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestion.We will arrive late on Friday and depart for the airport on Monday morning so I hope these markets are open on Saturday.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I have just checked, and Via Sannio is open also on Sat from 8 am to 6pm, so you should be fine. The market starts along Via Sannio street and continues on the right with many many other stalls selling shoes, leather goods, vintage clothings and second hand clothings (like each piece for 1 euro etc). Please keep your wallet in a safe place when you go there, because when I was a child I went with my mom, we were "rummaging" through piles of clothings (you will see, some of the stalls have PILES of stuff, so you have got to dig in) and my mom's wallet that was in her purse was stolen. Just a safety tip (better be safe than sorry). Also, carry cash and banknotes in small pieces like 5, 10, 20 euros, it's better, because they can give you more easily change.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM

As you will be staying in Rome also on Sunday, I would suggest also PORTA PORTESE market. This is an old flea market where you can find not only clothings but antiques, old books, old pieces of furniture etc... If you are only into clothing, then IMO Via Sannio will be fine.