Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is There An Outdoor "Market" In Rome to Buy Leather Goods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
Kim

When last I visited Italy - unfortunately 15 years and 3 children ago - I bought some leather goods (jackets, purses, wallets) for great prices in Florence in an outdoor market. Is there such a market in Rome as well?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
Karen

I was in Rome 2 years ago, and I do not remember such a place. I bought leather in Florence, and Sorrento had some good deals. Sorry, maybe someone else found one in Rome...

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
Janice

You might try the Porta Portese market<BR>held on Sunday mornings 'til about 1 PM.<BR>There is a little of everything there.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
Marilyn

Try the market that is near the Lateran church. As you go through the city gate toward the church there should be tents set up to your left. It is operational each day in the morning. Marilyn

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Helen

Kim, I think Marilyn is referring to the market in the San Giovanni in Laterano area - it is indeed next to the Church. (Take the San Giovanni Metro - it is rght at the stop!)<BR><BR>Their leather jackets are really cheap, and they have a good variety! I am not sure about handbags and purses.<BR>And I always buy the most beautiful second hand linen there - especially the old lace or linen curtains.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>Helen Malan

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping this b/c I'll be Rome this November and am looking for the best outdoor market or other locale to buy leather goods.

Any updates or further suggestions?

thanks,
Steve
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 02:05 AM

There is no distinct &quot;leather&quot; open market in Roma as there is in Firenze; however, there are several markets that sell leather goods, among other things. My Italian friends recommend the market of San Giovanni (mentioned above), as well as shopping close to Roma's Termini Station (in and around Piazza Vittorio), as well as the daily (M-Sat) open market in the Campo de Fiori. There are a couple stalls there that sell leather goods (purses, wallets, belts, etc).
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't recommend the Porta Portese market - we found it very disappointing and nothing like the great markets in Florence. Overly crowded, full of junk (nothing worth buying in our opinion) and hard to leave once you get in (it's sort of one way).
Kay
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:25 AM

If the one Rome market suggested doesn't work for you, I strongly suggest that you jump on the Eurostar and go to Firenze, specifically Roberto's on the market.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Hi Kim, As Janice said above, the best place to look for leather in Rome at an open market is the Porta Portese on Sundays only. Otherwise you're much better off in Florence.

In Rome Campo dei Fiori does indeed have a wonderful daily market M-Sat. but it's not &quot;the spot&quot; to buy leather goods.