Search

Groceries in cinque terre

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:11 PM
gb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Groceries in cinque terre

My family likes to picnic. Are there any small grocery stores in Cinque Terre? or do you need to bring basic groceries in from outside the five villages?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:15 PM

Of course there are. The 5 villages are not merely there for our pleasure, but they are real communities with people who need to eat. Just seek and ye shall find.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:10 AM
gb
Original Poster

DUH! Now, why would that question make you think I was thinking the villages were there for our pleasure? I suppose it is your point of reference. I've stayed in many mountain towns where you have to drive an hour for a grocery store. I just wanted to know that when I park my car if I needed to carry foods in for my picky daughter, or if I can pick up some yogurt at a local grocery store. Geez, chill
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Yes, they have little markets everywhere we went. But, if your daughter is really picky, you might want to bring in her food anyway in case you can't find something she likes.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
<BR>Date: 03/18/2003, 01:10 pm<BR><BR>GB says : DUH! Geez, chill<BR><BR>It never amazes me how people who ask travel questions jump all over someone who answers in a sincere way. If you want to pay for something, buy the damn books. All SloPugs (have never met this person) was trying to do was give you an honest answer to your question. The answer is given to you by someone who just wants you to enjoy your trip better. Just my opinion, but it is YOU who sould chill. I had no board like this when I traveled to the Cinque Terre a few years ago. Lufthansa lost our luggage. Fortunately, I had an IQ more than 10 and was able to purchase clothes to sustain me for a few days until the airline found my luggage. It amazes me that people who search out free help then ridicule those who are trying to help them out. Have a lovely trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:38 PM

GB, if you've stayed in many mountain towns where you have to drive an hour for a grocery store, and don't know how small the Cinque Terre villages are, then I can understand why you'd ask this question.<BR><BR>These villages are not *that* small, however. They have grocery stores -- small ones of course -- and you should be able to find almost any kind of basic groceries you need. I hope you enjoy Cinque Terre.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:55 PM

Maitaitom - I first visited the Cinque Terre many years ago as did you. If you have not been there lately you would be very disappointed with what it has become. I loved it so much years ago that I stopped there for three days in October and was glad to leave and head to the Amalfi Coast. Gone is the old charm, friendly residents, cheap hotels and restaurants. All five villages have arrived as typical tourist traps now. Prices have skyrocketed, it's crowded and the restaurant and hotel people are not so friendly anymore. You almost have to mortgage the ranch to get a decent seafood dinner. The prices I did not mind so much as the loss of the friendliness and charm. I'll never go back again. Rick Steves created a monster. <BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Larry J<BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:14 PM

Larry, &quot;monster&quot; would, of course, be in the eye of the beholder. I've been there twice, in 1987 and last spring and, while it was certainly more crowded and more expensive last spring, we found a private room at a decent price right on the harborside piazza; I still found it charming and incredibly picturesque; and my girlfriend, who had never been there before so had nothing to compare it to, loved it. <BR><BR>Italians have gone there for years. It was packed pastel-wall-to-pastel-wall with Italians on Liberation Day weekend (last spring.) If Steves hadn't promoted the area to Americans for the past couple decades, it might be a bit less crowded and less expensive, but it also wouldn't be some undiscovered jewel. And, frankly, since I first heard about the area from his book -- prompting the 1987 visit -- I'm grateful to him for promoting it. <BR><BR>Anyway, sorry to hear you were disappointed in your return visit. I'd go back there anytime. <BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Cheap deals live on!!! I was there just a few of years ago and managed to pay just $2.50/night in a very charming (spacious, full of character, clean, but not fancy) apartment in Rio Maggiore. I explained that whole story in another thread, so I won't re-do that one here. Rio Maggiore still had a lot of small town charm, especially at night and morning before daytrippers came. Also, a lot of people were not on the trail connecting the villages in November. The weather was nice as we were wearing tank tops and shorts. I suppose it is probably worse during high season like all other &quot;Discovered&quot; places.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:05 AM

$ 2.50 at night????Must be a typo error!!! If is not, what a bargain....
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Yes, $2.50~NOT a typo! In a nutshell, my sister and husband rented a big apartment for a week with 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, dining room, bathroom and huge living room with additional beds. This place was not listed in any guidebooks, but they just wandered around town and asked locals for places for rent. She sublet some of the beds to backpackers she recruited from the rail station in Rio MAggiore and rented out the bed for $25/night per person. The place was only $55/night, so that left $5.00 for us to split. The backpackers were happy to get such a great place that they probably wouldn't have found on their own (I wouldn't have, and I give my sister all the credit for this great deal). Many times we would just buy groceries at the local market and make some great meals to eat out on our spacious terrace overlooking the sea and the beautiful village right in front of us and all around us. It was a win-win situation for all. My sister, being on a fixed income (she sold almost everything and has been abroad for about 4 years) has relied on this resourcefulness to make her dollars stretch and allow her travel longer. She now lives in Essaouira, Morroco, on about $500./month, which includes all living expenses and a very nice 2 bedroom apartment right in the center of the historic town. My sister is living proof that it IS still possible to travel &quot;Richly&quot; on a low budget!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 07:26 AM
LJ

My daughter and her buddy got a bargain in one of the Cinque terre villages while bakpacking off season (April pre-Easter week)for $30 split between them. They said it was a small clean simple apartment that had knock-out views and they found out about by asking at a local grocery store that had small ads posted. Yes, there are still bargains, markets, friendly locals and beauty in Cinque Terre: its all in the timing.