Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece Island hopping: Santorini, Antiparos, Naxos, Mykonos: Inputs please

Mar 12th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

We're a couple in our late 20's travelling to Greece in mid-June this year for a two week island hopping holiday in the Cyclades. This will be our third consecutive summer spent in Europe, (having done Croatia and Amalfi coast the last two years) and we are looking forward to this trip with great excitement! We love spending time on the beach, exploring towns, and eating good food!! This will be our 1st time in Greece, after some research here on fodor's here's a tentative itinerary that we've put together. I'll greatly appreciate any inputs/thoughts/advice:

-Fly to Athens and then transfer to Santorini same day on a domestic flight
-2 nights in Santorini: We've kept this short, because (a) heard a lot about it being very touristy & crowded (b) i think 2 nights should be enough to take in the caldera views and get a feel of the island
- ferry to Naxos, 3 nights in Naxos Chora
- ferry to Antiparos, 3 nights
- ferry in Mykonos, 4 nights
- ferry to Athens, 1.5 days there and then flights back home

I'll greatly appreciate any inputs/thoughts/advice on this plan so that we can fine tune it.
Couple of questions: Is 3 days too much on Antiparos? We do like some slow slow days during our holiday where we just swim, eat and drink. From what I've read, Antiparos would be one of those places. True? Or should we base ourselves in Paros and do Antiparos as a day trip. we're looking at Thalasea in Antiparos chora as a base. Any inputs?
Is the ferry from Mykonos to Athens a convenient option, or should we look at taking a flight? We wouldn't like to spend too much on this transfer so if the ferry ride is not too long/tedious we would prefer that. Thoughts? Lastly, should we try and fit Folegandros into this itinerary? I've read a lot about this island on this forum but can't figure out if it'll be a convenient ferry route for this holiday.
I'm sure we'll be back to Greece and the islands many many times for more exploring, but we just want to make the most of this first trip. I hope that our choice of islands are a good mix for first timers and we've not missed out on anything um-missable!

Thank you and looking forward to all your inputs!
Mar 12th, 2015, 08:37 AM

<< We do like some slow slow days during our holiday where we just swim, eat and drink. From what I've read, Antiparos would be one of those places. >>

If so, you'll have a week of it because Mykonos is primarily useful for swim, eat, drink.
Mar 12th, 2015, 08:46 AM

Santorini is really amazing place.
Mar 12th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Your timing of days allocated looks good. You are correct about Santorini, two days is enough. We loved staying in Naoussa, Paros. Lots of good choices available.
Mar 12th, 2015, 09:18 AM

There's lots more to see and do on Santorini than there is on Mykonos besides food, drink and beach. Spend 4 nights on Santorini and 2 nights on Mykonos.
Mar 12th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Antiparos is fine; Naoussa is bigger and more touristy. Mykonos makes sense if you want to visit Delos or if you like to be among thousands of other tourists.
If you like small Islands with very few foreign tourists, check places like Schinoussa or Serifos, bot of easy reach from Santorini resp. Paros and Piraeus, but may be not daily.
http://www.gtp.gr/
A ferry (not catamaran!) ride from Mykonos to Piraeus or Rafina is pure relax at the sun.
Mar 12th, 2015, 11:47 AM

" Is 3 days too much on Antiparos?"

I spend up to three weeks at a time on Antiparos, and that's not enough for me, so sometimes come back a second time at the end of the summer.

If you stay in Antiparos Town, most everything is within 10 minutes walking distance, including five different beaches, and a great selection of shops, restaurants, and cafes on the pedestrian-only main street, and more along the harbour.

Visitors and locals alike enjoy promenading along the main street in the evenings before sitting down for a drink at a cafe, and then dinner in one of the excellent tavernas. If you like to stay up late, there are several small nightclubs at the kastro square that get busy after midnight.

Recommend you take one day for a round-island boat trip. There are several to choose from, but Captain Ben has been getting lots of good feedback:
http://captainbenantiparos.com

Antiparos is so relaxing I usually don't want to leave, but if you get bored, Parikia, the main town on Paros, is only 30 minutes away.
Mar 13th, 2015, 01:33 AM

I know many visitors like to spend 3-4 days on each island and be on the move all the time, but if you plan to be back many many times in the future as you say, why not to take it more easy? I would cut one island and ditribute those days on other islands and at least one more night in Athens. Which one to cut is up to you.

If you insist on your itinerary, I would cut Mykonos one night short and add this night on Santorini. Yes, I am not fond of Santorini, yes, it is a place that at times feel like a theme park, but no, you can not take a feel of the island in only one day and yes, I agree with BLL there is plenty to keep you busy for a few days besides the caldera. I never get why making an effort and spend time and money to go somewhere, then trying to spend as limited time there as possible. Doesn't makes sense to me.