Greece trip - Selection of islands

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece trip - Selection of islands

I am still unsure what island to include for my trip in September. Is Mykonos a must ? How about Santorini ? Where can I get a true greek experience in Naxos or Tinos or Paros ? It is my first time over there and I only have 10 days.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:02 AM
brotherleelove2003

Definitely Santorini. In September it will be fairly quiet, the water will still be warm and rooms will be easy to get and priced at low season rates. The views of the caldera from the cliff are spectacular, and the timeless settlement of Oia on the north end of the island is the best place to stay by far.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion,
Do people go to Santorini mainly for the view of the caldera or also for the beach ? I would like to stay by the beach if possible, any ideas ?
Thanks

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Santorini does have a beach, but many people go to Santorini for the views.

It would help if we knew more about your interests.

Mykonos is popular for a reason -- good beaches, nightlife, shopping, restaurants, charm, history, etc. Paros is much like Mykonos.

Both Mykonos and Santorini are worthwhile visiting, but for "a true Greek experience," you might want to also mix in time on a less popular island.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions.
How about Naxos first and then Mykonos.
I would like to try greek food, visit some old building but mainly relax on a nice beach. Do you think that Naxos and Mykonos are a good combination ?

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I was in Greece in September a couple of years ago and went to Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Paros and Antiparos. If you want to stay on the beach I would recommend Naxos - its subdued and there are beautiful beaches there. Santorini is beautiful, but you really only need a couple of days here to enjoy the view and see the town. There are some nice beaches here, but the main attraction is up on the bluffs overlooking the caldera. If you have the time I would also consider Crete - Crete also has nice beaches and a huge variety of activities.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Williamfra

You're quite right; I can't find it either. There's a lot about Elafonissos on Crete (which I've visited myself), but I'm certain there was a thread about the island early this year and I cannot find it, whatever spelling I use. Can anyone else try?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:54 AM

I thought the area in Crete i called Elafonissi.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Meant to say is called Elafonissi. Check it out after I posted, and Elafonissi is correct.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:23 AM

I think your best bet for a Greek experience out of your choices would be Naxos. The beaches there are nice, the food is great, and there aren't as many tourists as there are on Mykonos and Santorini. You can also take day trips using the Flying Dolphins (half the time of ferrys) to Paros, and even Santorini if you leave early.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:28 AM
bws

My wife and I visited Naxos this year in June. The beaches there are very good, with St. George beach essentially right in the main town.
There are several good tourist class hotels right on the beach at a reasonable price. There is an abundance of very good beaches starting about 6KM from Naxos town as well, although I would recommend you stay on St George beach and visit the outlying beaches on day trips.
The town is full of winding narrow streets, old Venetian buildings and antiquities, As well as lots of night life.
There is a permanent population of 20,000 people on Naxos, so activities and tavernas are still serving the local population long after islands like Santorini and Mykinos have closed for the season.

On our trips we have stayed a week in Naxos and the last two or three nights in Santorini. Santorini's beaches are black pebble and are very hot. Generally people go to Santorini to stay on the caldera and take in the view. I note, one of the other people who responded to you said two or three nights in Santorini are all you need and I agree with that assesment, but it is a great place to finish up your vacation. By the way it is substantially more expensive (food and Lodging) than Naxos.