Mykonos to Santorini - Parox or Naxos

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mykonos to Santorini - Parox or Naxos

Hey...

I am going to stay 3 nights at Mykonos and 5 nights at Santorini. Check that ferries stops at Paros or Naxos from/to.

Will be a good idea to stay 1 night at Paros or Naxos?

Tnks a lot.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:36 AM

No point in staying over for just one night, as there won't be much time to do anything other than getting on & off ferries and checking in and out of hotels.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:43 AM

Are you asking this question in vacuum?

You can ask yourself, what you can do by actually looking up the hours and days of operations of transport, activities, etc:

1. Mykonos 3 - Santonrini 5
2. Mykonos 3 - Paros 1 - Santorini 4
3. Mykonos 3 - Paros 2 - Santorini 3
4. Mykonos 3 - Naxoos 1 - Santorini 4
5. Mykonos 3 - Naxoos 2 - Santorini 3

There are many other possibilities offering different experiences to you.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Tnks a lot.

I am going late April, maybe 1 full days / 2 nights?

Will think about and compare island.

;-)
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM

At least two nights would give you one full day on Paros or Naxos. You could hire a car and take a drive around the island. That will cost you an extra day of travel, though.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 02:10 PM

We took a trip similar to yours and enjoyed Naxos very much. It felt smaller than Paros and the beaches and topography of Naxos was beautiful. With 8 nights I feel you have enough time to add another island to the mix for at least 2 nights. Oia, Santorini 3 nights Naxos 2 Mykonos 3 nights . We really enjoyed the beaches on Naxos, Gold Beach? I believe it's called. Mykonos, too.

Our first trip was mid May and some places had not opened yet for the season. I'm not sure how April will be. Maybe one of the regular Greek Island travelers can chime in.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 09:08 AM

Well, Naxos is the largest island of Cyclades covering about 430 km2, Andros the second (~380km2) and Paros the third larger ~196km2.
Both Naxos and Paros offer plenty to see and do, quite similar islands, but in a way different too.
"Golden Beach" (and "New Golden beach") are actually located on the west side of Paros, reflecting the easy coast line of Naxos across the sea which consist of sandy beaches upon sandy beaches.

There are tons of resources to check out there, http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/ might be a good place to start.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Important side note for late April 2016 : Greek Easter Sunday falls on May 1rst on 2016. This means that end of April, the week leading to Easter will be quite busy. Many locals will travel to the islands to celebrate with friends and family. (Easter is a much more important to the Greek calendar that it is for the other christians. Alot is family fare, but you will be lucky to enjoy some of the festivities too, especially if you are here on Great Friday, Great Saturday and Easter Sunday. Ask localy for details. http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/religion/easter_in_greece)
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 09:33 AM

I can understand why Naxos may seem smaller than Paros to some. Although a larger island, the only part that many tourists see is the small area around Naxos Town and the western beaches. The interior and the eastern side of the island are less visited.

Paros, on the other hand, has two main settlements, Parikia and Naoussa, plus many smaller seaside villages around the circumference of the island. The interior is less mountainous, making it easier to reach villages such as Lefkes.

Both islands have their own special charm, and of course Paros has the gem called Antiparos right next door.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 08:46 PM

...and of course I mixed east/west coasts of each island on previous post. This is what happens when you post on the forums at 2am after a looong Greek dinner lol
Thanks for correction Heimdall.
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 01:01 AM

Hi mariah2912,

That wasn't really a correction, because you are right about Naxos being the larger. I was just pointing out why BeachGirl may have had a different impression.

We all knew what you meant about the Golden Beach side of the island, and I sometimes get it mixed up in my mind too. I can never stay awake until 2am, and need to proofread carefully everything I write before my first cup of coffee in the morning. ;-)
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM

and this is an attraction for the near future...
Thought that would be interesting also got Heimdall and mariha

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014...n-open-museum/
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:41 AM

Thank you clausar! Yes, Despotiko is becoming an attraction. I've landed on the island a few times, but wasn't able to get up to the archaeological site. I understand you can arrange a boat to take you there from San Georgio (Agios Georgios) on Antiparos.

There is much yet to be discovered on Despotiko, and the site is still being excavated. I'm going to "pull your leg" a bit, clausar, because your ancient Athenian ancestors are to blame for Despotiko's destruction ;-):

"It continued to serve as a religious site up until the beginning of the 2nd century BC, when it suffered extensive destruction at the hands of the Athenians as a punishment to Paros for siding with the Persians."

http://www.ekathimerini.com/144114/a...uroi-and-goats
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:24 AM

Despotiko is still work in progress and it was not easy to visit the digs when I was in the area, but everything I read about it is very fascinated. I believe that one of the lead archeologists who took part of the early excavations had his own theory that this might be the real Delos rather than...Delos. Always very interesting this kind of stuff! Thank you for the article(s)!