Santorini only or Mykonos also

Mar 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
sph
Original Poster

Santorini only or Mykonos also

I am finalizing the first stages of a trip to Greece and Istanbul. I will have six nights for santorini and Mykonos. My question is whether we should stay the whole time in santorini or 3 nights at each.

If there are opinions on this subject please share. Thanks
Mar 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM

There isn't that much to do on any one Greek island. Santorini is bigger and more dramatic, and Mykonos has better nightlife and a smaller (and as far as I'm concerned, prettier) main town. I would suggest 4 nights in Santorini and 2 in Mykonos. You might also want to consider Rhodes.
Mar 21st, 2012, 11:10 PM

I have been to both,and I would suggest splitting your time between the two. I really liked Santorini. It's stunningly beautiful, and in person it looks just like it does in pictures. I also liked Mykonos and think it's well worth a visit for at least a couple of days.

FWIW, in 2011 Travel and Leisure magazine voted Santorini Number 1 among the world's best islands and Mykonos Number 15. http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...best-islands/2
Mar 22nd, 2012, 02:35 AM

Actually Mykonos covers 85.5 km2 (33 sq miles?) Santorini covers 73 km2 (28 sq miles?) so Santorini is smaller than Mykonos, but that's not the point. The point is how easy you want to take it and what you are most interested to do while on the islands. I would personally consider any 2 nights stay on any island as a waste of time as it comes down only on one full day- and this requires lots of time spent packing/unpacking,checking in/out of hotels, commuting to/from ports, waiting time,actual ferry ride,get your barrings etc just to spend one day somewhere. If one has a slightest interest on ancient Greece,then a visit to Delos is a must while on Mykonos, so one day nearly taken from Mykonos already. If it has to be both islands, I would spent time equally, unless there is a special reason to spend more time on one over the other. For example if someone loves to visit wineries, I would suggest more time on Santorini. If one loves to lie on sandy beaches I would suggest more time on Mykonos and so on.
Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
sph
Original Poster

THANK YOU. I am looking at splitting time and also looking into some of the more local places that Mariha mentioned as we like to see it all but based on past experiences need enough time to enjoy as well. I am going to do some more research and may have one more question but these threads have helped me sort it out.

Thanks again fir your time