Reload this Page >

Greece in August

Search

Greece in August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Em&Jeff

Greece in August

We're planning our honeymoon for August of 2003. We've never been to Greece but are afraid of the crowds and heat at that time of year. Also, it seems that people generally go to Mykanos and Santorini but we may want to try somewhere else. Any advice?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Sue

Western Crete, west of Heraklion.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:52 PM
pam

santorini is very romantic for newlyweds,zakinthos is also beautiful,myconos is too wild for newlyweds,more for singles,and crete definetly hania,also st.nicholas in crete. but i recomend santorini.go on the internet under cyclades islands greece that group of islands is very romantic and beautiful anyway most of the greek islans are beutiful.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Star

Just saw on tv that Julia Roberts spent her honeymoon in Santorini, unfortunately they didn't mention which hotel. I have heard that August is not the optimal time to visit Greece, but millions do it... You should definitely consider visiting a couple different places; maybe you could stay in Athens, Santorini, and also Crete.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Elaine

How about the Ionians? Much greener and slightly cooler and less manic in August than the eastern islands. Pam already mentioned Zakynthos, but there are more to choose from - all equally beautiful. Check out http://dir.forthnet.gr/14-7-en.html for links to the different islands.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:58 AM
michael

Having spent many years working and holidaying in Greece, I would advise:<BR><BR>Santorini (Hotel Perivolas / Katikies in Oia, or if you can afford it the Zannos Melathron in Pyrgos) and <BR><BR>Folegandros, Hotel Anemomilos Apts, which is one of the most romantic places I've been. It's a tiny island and you would have to arrange transport carefully as the boats don't go every day. <BR><BR>For more details on these places, and other lovely places in the Cyclades, you can see the reviews and pics I've posted on:<BR><BR>www.i-escape.com/greece.php<BR><BR>Good luck, and kala stefana as they say.<BR>Michael

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Mia

I have been in Greece in the various months of May, June August and September. Yes, August was the hottest of them all, but heck, I was in Greece!!! Greece in any month is better than no Greece at all. If possible, try to plan your vacation towards the later part of the month. I just was reading and writing about a post about Crete. Check out that post and the comments about Chania and Casa Delfina. Santorini is very nice, but I also prefer going off the beaten track a bit. I visited Ithaki once, which I wouldn't recommend, but the other Ionian Islands are beautiful -Cephallonia, Zakynthos, for example.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Karyn

We just returned from Santorini where we syayed at Astra apartments in Imerviglio. The place was picture postcard beautiful, and even when the crowds were close by in Fira and Oia, we could escape to a quiter area to relax after touring, beach going or shopping. A really spectacular place!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 01:12 AM
irini

Santorini is the best island for a honeymoon. <BR>Studio Artemis in Megalochori is perfect. Very quiet and has the most beautiful view on the island. visit: www.artemistudio.com