Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Late June Honeymoon in Greece - Need advice!

Oct 27th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

After hours of discussions of whether to go to South Africa or the Caribbean for our honeymoon, my finance and I decided to comprimise and chose Greece instead. Now, I need your help narrowing down the island choices. We're looking for a little bit of everything - quaint bed and breakfasts, posh hotels, secluded balconies, and jumping nightlife. We're a little bit older so we're not into the drunk college party scene. From my very limited research the following islands look interesting: Santori, Hydra, Crete and Rhodes. Please help me decide! Thanks in advance...
Oct 27th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh forgot to add - with the Olympics in Athens in August 2004, is Greece not a good idea? Will everything be already booked up?
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:12 AM
brotherleelove2003

Of course you can check ahead with emails to a few hotels, but Late June in Greece shouldn't be a problem. My recommendation would be for you to go to the island of Santorini. It's my favorite and one of the most beautiful spots on earth (in my humble opinion). I liked it so much I stayed for 6 months, twice!! It's not tropical or lush with vegetation, but the colors of the sea against the colors of the white houses and red cliff walls is spectacular and the views are one-of-a-kind. Sunsets from a balcony over the sea will stay with you forever. The most beautiful village is Oia, but the best nightlife is in the main village of Fira. Excellent restaurants are found in both villages. Taxis and buses can ferry you back and forth. If you use Google.com to search the web you'll find accomodations of every budget available for your perusal.

Oct 28th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Old_One

The greek islands generally don't do quaint or posh except for the odd niche market British package tourist place. It's mainly backpackers of every age & country going for simplicity and reasonable prices. Obviously avoid anywhere near Athens in August.

Oct 28th, 2003, 05:32 PM

I think you might enjoy Paros, which is near Santorini. Also Crete would be worth exploring and it is short ferry ride from the all favorite Santorini. There is the Elounda Beach Resort on Crete, which is very posh and a price to go with it. The Greek Islands have their fill of package tours, but when ever I have been there I have found quaint, charming, and quiet places. I agree that Greece is less formal than other European countries and that is its charm. Congrats!!
Oct 28th, 2003, 10:11 PM
brotherleelove2003

Contrary to "Old One's" post there are several "posh" hotels on Santorini, some in the village of Oia. The Katikies, Esperas, Oia Mare, and Perivolas Villas for starters. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.

Nov 1st, 2003, 05:21 AM
Old_One

You have just confirmed my generalistions.... we were in Oia some 27 yrs ago and we were there this year, it is moving into the marriage/romantic niche market package obviously for commercial reasons.

Nov 1st, 2003, 07:19 AM
brotherleelove2003

There have been "posh" hotels on Santorini for a very long time now. Perhaps you should return so you can update your generalizations. 27-rear-old information doesn't help anyone.

Nov 5th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Congrats!! You didn't mention how long to will be going for, but this was my honeymoon five years ago and I loved every minute of it, I wouldn't have changed a thing! Athens 3 days (2 in the beginning 1 in the end),
Rhodes 3 days, Mykonos with a day trip to Delos 3 days, Santorini 2 days, Paros with a side trip to Antiparos 2 days. It gave us a great overview of different islands and just when you start to get tired of the same place, you get to go somewhere else! All have spectacular sunsets, views etc. You can't go wrong in Greece! My favorite hotels are Club Kivotos in Mykonos and Astir of Paros in Paros. One last bit of advice, bring a sweater. No one ever told me that when the wind picks up on the islands it gets very chilly at night (especially with a sunburn!!)
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Old_One

Brotherlee2003. I would appreciate it if you would not mis-interpret my postings.

Nov 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM
brotherleelove2003

It'll be a real challenge, but I'll try my best. Peace be with you.

Jun 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM

i would certainly choose mykonos and kivotos hotel

it's like being in a villa and enjoy the services of a hotel