Search

greece in may

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greece in may

my husband and i are thinking of traveling to greece at the end of may? how is the weather there that time of year? which islands would you suggest seeing? we are thinking of going for 10-12 days....starting in athens. is it safe?
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:20 AM
brotherleelove2003

Greece in May is fantastic, the weather is nice and warm and the prices are low and the summer hordes have not yet arrived. This coming May might be a bit different because of the impending Olympics, however. Who knows how the tourist business owners will be feeling, knowing that they all are on the verge of the biggest windfall they could every hope to have drop into their laps? Prices could be higher. I expect they will be.

The Cyclades islands are a good choice, they're close together and easy to reach by ferry. You can also fly to 2 of them from Athens, Santorini and Mykonos. Crete is another excellent choice but is so big you really need to rent a car to get around.

Yes, Athens is as safe as any large city. Be prepared to be caught in all the "last minute" preparations for the Olympics, however. There's construction going on everywhere causing extra noise and traffic congestion.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Yes! the best time of the year to go to Greece is the end of May, first of June. Not too hot but hot enough. I agree with previous message. You have time for 2 to 3 islands depending on whether you take fast ferries or fly. In addition to Santorini, consider Naxos and Amorgos.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I have been to Greece twice, both mid to end of May. Perfect weather. First time we went to Mykonos and Santorini, after Athens; second time, Crete.
We felt very safe everywhere we were, inc. Athens. We were there 10-11 days, also.

I, too, wonder how the upcoming Olympics will effect tourism in Greece next summer, before, during, and after the games.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:31 AM

error :meant to say "affect", not "effect".
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I went in the beginning of May, and even that was perfect for weather!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:29 PM

The island of Paros is wonderful. It is not that far from the usual Mykonos and Santorini.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:20 PM

hi! i visited greece at the end of may this year. the weather was great in athens! but when i was in mykonos and santorini, it rained - which was very unusual, according to my Greek friends. since the weather could be a bit unpredictable in the islands, bring a sweater just in case!