great theatreinLondon and eats

Apr 19th, 2002, 05:48 PM
belle

great theatreinLondon and eats

we'll be in London in early May and want great theatre. Already have tix for Stones i His Pockets. What about My Fair Lady?, or Blood Brothers, or any other musicals or dramas. We are not particularly into Shakespeare.....Also, good ethnic (not Indian, I don't like it)restaurants in theatre district; don't have to be too pricey but good and some atmosphere would be fine. Thanks.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:37 PM
JJ

Blood Brothers and Les Miserables are both very good IMO.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:45 PM
belle

thx. Heard that Blood Bros is a 'dark musical' can't quite figure out what that would mean as a theatregoer experience. can you help? we saw Les Mis on Broadway years ago and loved it, but not to see again.

Apr 19th, 2002, 07:10 PM
JJ

I guess Blood Brothers would be considered 'dark' because of the storyline. You will need a hanky, but I love the music and there's a lot of laughter in it too.

As far as Les Mis, I guess I'm just an addict where it's concerned - saw it once on Broadway and three times in London.

Apr 19th, 2002, 09:03 PM
ggrant

Saw Full Monty last month. It was very, very good. Chitty chitty Bang Bang got great reviews and I have booked it for my next trip. I really recommend full Monty, very funny and the music great.

Apr 20th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cleeas

Doesn't anyone want to tell belle about the fine "eateries" in which she'll get good English "eats"?

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Ben Haines

Please can you say, ethnic what ? English, Chinese, Italian, Thai, or what ? Not Indian, I see. If you will explain, I shall be glad to try to answer in part.

Ben Haines, London

Apr 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Elizabeth

I saw The Humble Boy last summer, with Diana Rigg in it, at the Royal Naitonal Theatre, and I see it's at another theatre now. From my point of view it's a full meal--an original, grownup real play with some humor, great acting, and a somewhat Hamlet-ish plt where an adult man and his mom with a new boyfriend are concerned.

I also went to some other thing at the South Bank. (a restoration comedy directed by Trevor Nunn, The Relapse, doubt it's still playing) I had such luck with just going over there at around 6:30, seeing what I could get a ticket to and then scaring up some food, or getting on a list and chatting with people, that I recommend it--I love it over there and both things I saw were super.

Apr 20th, 2002, 12:37 PM
mpprh

Hi

Can't say much about current theatre.

But when we lived in UK, we always ate before or after in Chinatown, Soho.

It is adjacent to the theatre area and has genuine top quality chinese food at a reasonable price.

Try Gerrard Street ........ choice of about 30 Restaurants.

Peter

Apr 20th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Judy

Saw MFL, and Mamma Mia in March, loved them both. Found 2 very good restaurants: Italian- Vasco & Piero's Pavillion (Soho), and La Deuxieme(French) on Longacre(Covent Garden), both were very very good!
Judy

Apr 20th, 2002, 02:55 PM
dave

We just saw "The Play Wot I Wrote." Very funny. Don't believe people who tell you you need to know the original comedy team to appreciate it. I didn't, and loved the play.

Good place to eat in the West End is Rules. You probably need reservations.

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
belle

Hi Ben,
thanks for your help: Thai; Italian; Chinese. Any of those would be fine.

Thanks to everyone else for theatre recommendations and restaurants.

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:46 PM
geri

Blood Brothers--saw it some time ago in London--story of two brothers separated at birth, one grows up in poverty, one in wealth. Sad ending, great music.

Apr 21st, 2002, 01:42 PM
Penny

How about "The Mousetrap"?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Jen

We were in London in Feb. & saw two great plays: Tartuffe at the RNT (closed now, sadly) & Lady Windemere's Fan at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. Lady Windemere's Fan is standard Oscar Wilde--lavishly executed & quite entertaining.

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:30 AM
belle

for good dining (not "eats" as I gauchely said at first, sorry about that!), near Garrick theatre or Duke of York's theatre???? your suggestions, please?

Also, is Rule's really terrific? Stuffy atmosphere or not?

Does anyone know, Nahm (upscale Thai) and where it may be r/t theatres? Or, is Ivy relatively close by? Or, Gay Hussar?

Okay, that's it for the moment. Thanks!!