Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY this Fall....what is good to see on Broadway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last November you gave me August Osage County...we loved it. So I am here again. We are in our late 70s...but pretty with it. (if you know what i mean) I want to see Jersey Boys but not sure if my husband will like it. We do a lot of opera and ballet, but he did like Mamma Mia so who knows. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM

We have tickets to "God of Carnage" and are still on the fence as to we also try to see "Next to Normal".
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM

I would recommend 'South Pacific' and 'West Side Story' for musicals. I enjoyed 'Next to Normal,' but it's not for everyone. 'Hamlet' will opening with Jude Law (got very good reviews in London). I'm also seeing 'God of Carnage' in the fall - people have really liked it. This afternoon I saw 'Ruined' - off B'way, won this year's Pulitzer - very good, very intense - if you liked 'August,' I would think that you will like this.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM

Interestingly, you only mention three shows, but, wow, what a broad spectrum those three represent! Even the two you have seen--August: Osage County and Mamma Mia couldn't couldn't any more different. So, from one point of view, it's tough to recommend a show; but then, I could take the opposite point of view and say, "Hell, they might like any show!"
So, tell us a little more about what type(s) of shows will interest you and your husband.
Also,what month will you be here? That will influence what will be playing when you're here.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

We have very broad interests. Have seen all the famous musicals..i.e.West Side Story,etc. in the past. I have never seen Jersey Boys and wonder if my husband would like it...just played some of the music and it was ok he said. I would love to see Billy Elliot and so would he (we go to ballets, opera, etc.)... but not sure of the cost even in the mezzanine.
I saw Mamma Mia in NY...he saw it at the movies...but loved it.

Or would God of Carnage be better...you can see I am confused..
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM

Billy Elliot has wonderful dancing. The kids are terrific. I think only full price tickets are available no matter where the seats are. As far as 'better,' the two plays are so different; 'God of Carnage' has a great script and great acting - no music or dance. I'm in the minority at Fodors, but I didn't love Jersey Boys - it's more music than play.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ....will check into it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:58 AM

You've added the cost factor to the equation. If that is a consideration, than you'd face the same high prices for Jersey Boys that you would for Bill Elliot. And, in both cases, there aren't any discounted tickets available. And God of Carnage would also be a full-price experience (though being a non-musical, its tickets would be a little less than the other two shows).
Also, you sstill haven't answered the question about the date of your trip.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM

When you're going is quite important.

God of Carnage is on hiatus for August but will resume the Tuesday after Labor Day. Ruined's run was just extended, but will close September 6. There are some large-scale musicals coming in the fall -- Ragtime is transferring to Broadway from DC, and is supposed to be fantastic.

Next to Normal is amazing -- my favorite new show of the season. The subject matter is very intense, its a rock score, and the show is almost entirely sung. The cast of 6 is extremely talented, but it is definitely not a show for everyone.

Billy Elliot is also wonderful. The dancing and the book are incredible. But, it is not discounted, and will not be for the foreseeable future. I think it's worth it, though.

Since your husband liked Mama Mia, perhaps you could give 9 to 5 a look. It's purely fluff, but a lot of fun, and has the fantastic Allison Janney in a leading role.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM

"In the Heights" is a very modern "with it" show that includes hip hop, salsa and rap along with more traditional show music. It won the Tony for best musical last year and is regularly on discount on the left column on broadwaybox.com The discount currently posted probably expires before your trip, but you should find another closer to your visit.

Aside from "God of Carnage" which has gotten raves and hasn't been discounted, the other current non-musicals will mostly be closed by the fall. You might want to tell us when you're coming.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh I am SO going to see Jude. I gave up a trip to London to see him this summer when I committed to training for a century ride in early October, so this will be the PERFECT recovery trip after my ride!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

We are coming the first week in October!. Is there ever a chance to stand outside the theatre the night of the performance and get tickets from someone..or is that a pipedream. I assume if I go to the Tix outlet, I won't get the hot shows.

Is there any website that will tell me what seats are good???...Looking at a seating chart doesn't do it. The airlines have seat guru...I looked at a chart for Billy Elliot and it was a mystery. Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM

I would highly recommend Jersey Boys! I saw the play last November and I dream of going to see it again. I play the CD of the stage play very very often, and still can't beleive that I saw it. I also saw August, Osage county too, and loved that one, so maybe we have similar tastes. The other plays sound great too, but I don't see how you can go wrong with JB. I think your husband would like the grass roots feel of how the boys made it, and I don't honestly know how anyone could not like the music. I left the theatre so disappointed that my evening at the theater was over and would have gladly sat through another show.

We had wonderful seats, middle aisle, about 7 rows from the stage and found them absolutely perfect.

As one of the Jersey Boys songs goes "oh, what a night..'
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM

All My Sons was really good...it has katie holmes in it and it was intense and very entertaining.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM

All My Sons closed months ago!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM

amby - Hamlet tix for NY are already on sale!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM

oops - meant amyb!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM

We saw "Jersey Boys" twice on Broadway, in Las Vegas, and have tickets for the show in Boston in August. Obviously, we love that show!

Just returned from NYC and saw "God of Carnage". Magnificent! We enjoyed it much more than "Augustsage County" (though we enjoyed that, too).

We also saw "Ragtime" twice when it was on Broadway previously, and just love that show. We play the CD in the car on road trips, along with "Jersey Boys".

Also highly, highly, recommend "Tin Pan Alley Rag", though run is limited.

I got tickets to both the shows we saw recently discounted with e-mail offers. So, sign up everywhere!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up, centralparkgirl, I had read the 18th, but I'm getting them now!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM

I would recommend "In the Heights" - the 2008 Tony winner for Best Musical. I got fantastic seats using a discount code on broadwaybox.com - $57.50 for 2nd row center mezzanine. Fun fun show. Terrific dancing. Appropriate for all ages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -