Memphis on Broadway, a review

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Memphis at the Schubert Theaater last night. It was the 3rd night of previews. I got great seats (left orchestra, 9th row, 5 seats in from aisle) through BroadwayBox.com for $69.50 w/taxes and fees, because it is in previews. This is a small theater and pretty much all the seats in the orchestra are good. Front mezzanine might be good for seeing the choreography.

Story is that this white young man, Huey Calhoun, in Memphis in the mid-60s loves black R&B music. He goes into a black R&B club and gets a cool response because he is white, and whites and blacks didn't mix in the south back then...but the folks in the club warm up to him because the guy has soul, and he wants to get black R&B music on the radio. He goes on to do just that, and gets the white people listening to R&B and lovin' it. He falls in love w/Felicia, the sister of the owner of the club, who loves him back, and this creates all kind of racial problems. Their love is tested by her family, his family, and the greater outside world in Memphis. Plus, after Huey gets her on his radio program, Felicia's singing and music gets exposure and she has to decide whether to stay in Memphis or leave. And Huey also has to decide the same thing.

This is a real song and dance musical. The music was VERY good! Lots of R&B, and some gospel too. Choreography was very good also. I loved it, very colorful and just enough dancers on the stage so I could focus on it, not the overwhelming kind of dance where there is too much going on to see any of it unless you are in the front mezzanine.

Montego Glover, the lead female playing Felicia, has an EXCELLENT voice, big, soulful, lots of range too. She gave me goosebumps 5-6 times during the show. Chad Kimball, the lead male playing Huey, also can sing. But something about him irritated me. His speaking voice in this role sounds like Tom Hanks in Forest Gump, same inflection and intonation. Cass Morgan, who plays Huey's mother, was EXCELLENT. Her big singing number got a huge audience response, and her acting was good. Other supporting cast like James Ingelhart and J. Bernard Calloway, also have great voices and were fun to watch.

The story is ok, somewhat thin, but it is the music and dance that made this extremely enjoyable. I wanted to buy the CD but it won't be out til end of the yr.

I've never been to a preview of a Broadway play before, and I lucked out on this one. Everyone in the audience gave a standing ovation, and there were several musical numbers so intense and good that there was lots of applause after them during the show.

I say thumbs up for the song and dance, and go - esp. if you can get tickets during the previews!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the great review!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Just adding from the TDF website:

"From the underground dance clubs of 1950s Memphis, Tennessee, by way of runs at the La Jolla Playhouse and Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre, comes a new Broadway musical that focuses on two young collaborators: a black female singer whose career is on the rise but who can't break out of segregated clubs and a white radio DJ whose love of music transcends race lines and airwaves. When the two work together, her soulful music reaches radio audiences everywhere, and the Golden Era of early rock 'n' roll takes flight. But as things start to heat up, whether the world is really ready for their music - or their love - is put to the test. Memphis features a story by Joe DiPietro (I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change), an original score by David Bryan (Bon Jovi), direction by Christopher Ashley (Xanadu) and choreography by Sergio Trujillo (Jersey Boys)."
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Just wanted to thank you for your review. I went to the matinee yesterday (it's opening tonight) and I give the show a RAVE. I agree absolutely with your review. The music is GREAT, the dancing is terrific. It's a rousing good time in the theater. The story is a bit hokey (cross Hairspray with West Side Story)but it doesn't matter (at least it didn't to me). I've been wrong before, but I'm betting it gets great reviews.

The friend that I went with also found Chad Kimball irritating. She said his mannerisms reminded her of our last President. I thought he grew into the part by the second act. Anyway, this is a terrific show imo.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, I am so glad to hear you went and enjoyed it. I hope you got a good deal since it had not opened yet.

I am now looking at shows to decide what 2 shows my husband and I will see on our Dec. weekend and what shows I will send my 16 yr old daughter Celine to along w/her friend that same weekend. I doubt I will get the bargains in mid-Dec as I did in late Sept. but have to see...