Great Deal to London!

Search

Great Deal to London!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Deal to London!

Go Today has a great deal to london for air, 6 nights and breakfast for $299/pp - and my fave hotel, Cordova House, goes for $379/pp.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM

Radiofanatic, What is the Cordova like? HOw is London weather in Jan? I know it's cold but is it rainy? We're from Chicago so if you know, how does it compare?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM

Hi
for weather averages, see
www.wunderground.com or www.worldclimate.com

I haven't been there in January I don't think but I have been in Dec and in Feb, among other months. I've lived in on the northeast coast of the US all my life so I'm used to winter. I have found that London feels colder to me than the temperature would indicate, perhaps because of dampness. In winter I often layer thin silk ski underwear under my clothes (not just in London, but here at home) and it makes a big difference. But, I wouldn't let cold weather or some drizzle stop me from going, especially at the prices indicated above.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure about the weather in January (we went this year in March) but like elaine, I live in the northeast so I would just be happy it didn't snow!

For this next part, I apologize to those of you who have heard me continually rave about Cordova. You can stop reading now. for those of you who haven't, however, like Swalter - It's wonderful! It's only 2-3 blocks from Paddington station so it's really easy to get to from Heathrow. I love the neighborhood - very residential, you feel like you are really seeing true London life. The room was older but absolutely immaculate and the mattresses were firm enough for me and I'm fussy. The bathroom was beautiful done all in blue tile on the floor and walls. It is a full tub/shower and I had a tub bath a couple of nights after a long day of walking. The breakfast was fine for us, coffee, juice, rolls, cereals. Our favorite pub was only a block to the left of the hotel (if your back is facing it) and take a right at the first street and walk about a block and it's on your right - called the Mitre. It had mouth watering fish and chips and it was really a place for locals - we were the only tourists every time we went. And they had karoake one night which was absolutely hysterical. So as you can see, I would totally recommend it. Any other questions, just ask!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks Radiofanatic. We were thinking of going in March but these prices are really great.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM

I went one year right after Christmas and stayed until a few days after New Year's . . . it was cold, some days miserable, some snow (didn't stick), rain off/on.

I went back the following year, same time frame and it was sunny and really nice weather . . . didn't even wear my coat, just wore my light jacket/sweater.

There's so much inside stuff to see/do that weather is not a problem.

Bottom line . . . who knows!

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 07:13 AM
EmilyV

Just a note: American Airlines has some air/hotel fabulous deals to London right now -- even cheaper than Go-Today. I'm not familiar with the Cordova, but we were able to book at the Thistle Euston (a WONDERFUL hotel) for even less than Go-Todays package. Less than $700 per person.

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Priceline also has some very reasonable packages to London.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM

i'm currently living in chicago and have lived in southern england during winter. the temperatures, on average, don't compare! chicago is bitterly cold, whereas london is just sort of damp and "chilly" (it doesn't get much below 35 or so). just get used to being constantly damp...it's up to you to decide if frozen through and through is better than being damp! also, we tend to have sun in chicago during the coldest winter months, whereas it will be quite gloomy in london.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a good deal. The first time I went to London was in January. Since I am from San Diego, I had to buy a coat and was worried about being cold. I guess I lucked out because the weather wasn't too bad. The first day it drizzled some but wasn't that cold. The rest of the week was a little cloudy and gloomy but no rain. I wore a sweater or turtleneck with my London Fog coat but didn't even need to button the coat and rarely put my gloves on. Didn't use the ski underwear I brought. Sounds like January weather can be variable but I was there on a pretty good week.