Transportation - Paris Airports

Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Transportation - Paris Airports

Need help - Will be arriving at CDG at Terminal 2A. Where can I find the RER to get to Gare du Nord, and how much is a one way ticket? Also, leaving Orly for a day trip while I'm there and need info on how to get from Gare du Nord to Orly, and the price of that ticket.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM

All your questions answered here (click on the British flag for English version):

http://www.ratp.fr
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:57 AM

The RER (line B) is situated between Terminal 2 halls C/D and F (as is TGV). If you need to get to Terminal 2 from Terminal 1, there is a free shuttle (navette) to take you there.

The RER fare is 7.85Euro one-way. There are express trains to Gare du Nord, and other trains making in-between stops. To identify these, you go to www.ratp.fr, then "horaires". Choose Line B, 'tous les horaires..', and Valider. Next, choose the direction you want to travel (from CDG it's Robinson,Anthony etc, and choose weekday or weekend. The timetable will open up. Find the row with Aeroport CDG T-2 and the approx time you expect to take the RER. The express will be the one with fewest stops listed between CDG and Gare du Nord.

I haven't traveled from CDG yet, but evidently you should expect to use cash only (coins?) at a vending machine or wait in line to buy from a clerk.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM

It is extremely easy to use the RER going into Paris - I find it very dependable and quicker than some cabs I have ridden in (they are too expensive now for me) Seems like I enjoy coming into the city more this way, plus I relax and look forward to that first cup of French coffee and pastry!
Have a great time.

Nov 4th, 2004, 02:16 AM

I must say I find it incredible that people need to pre-plan everything in such detail. What's wrong with - just arrive at the airport, follow the signs, get to the train station, buy a ticket & get on the next train which stops where you're going. The vending machines take some cards or coins, no notes.
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Caroline: I think things which seem rather mundane (such as using public transportation, in a "foreign" country, etc., etc.) to some of us may be very daunting to others. I certainly don't consider finding out what to expect and how to do things to be needless pre-planning, and I suspect you don't either.

Besides, aren't you folks who live north of the border rather well-known for being "practical?"
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:10 AM

The vending machines take coins? I forget.

By the way, your credit card will most likely not work in France.

On a recent trip, what I ended up doing (after trying a few machines) was to get a French (I assumed) person in front of me to buy a ticket for me, which I repaid in cash. The lines at the ticket office were unbearably long.

Oops -- the credit cards will not work on the machines (they'll work in France).

As a follow on I guess I should have answered your question...what's "wrong" with "just arriving" is probably the "just getting hopelessly lost" part <G>.
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM

As a person who lives in the US but has never used a train or subway here, it is helpful to know what to expect especially the first time around. Not to mention in a jet-lagged state. As has been hashed out in other threads, some are planners, some are wingers.
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info.
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Sometimes it's not obsessive planning, but knowing a few tips can help you cut lines or plan accordingly. So at least popo will now know that his/her card may not be accepted by the French vending machines. It really was a huge pain for me.

At Frankfurt airport a few weeks ago, I wanted to buy a Shoeneswochenende ticket. I went to the info counter and the woman behind it was rather incredulous. She made it seem as if I couldn't read (just press the corresponding button, she said). But it turns out that the button on the lower right (or left?) was unmarked. There was no way I could have figured it out had I not gotten someone else to help me.

So a lot of these tips do help, and if you can get them prior to the trip, why not?
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I was there the weekend before last, found the signs easy to follow, & we only had to queue at the ticket booth for 2-3 minutes.
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Well, for some people huge airports one hasn't visited before can be confusing after 10 hours flights. Or maybe it is just pre-trip jitters. Also, it can be exhausting getting lost. ANd I thought this sort of thing is what this forum is for.

I regularly take the tube into London from Heathrow or the train from Gatwick. Is the RER much more complicated or difficult with carry on luggage? My stop is Chatelet Halles and then either a doeable walk or finding my way in the huge maze of that metro stop (or so I've been told) to the Hotel de Ville stop.
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM

It's extremely helpful to have some info before arriving at foreign airports and train stations - they can be very confusing. Some knowledge beforehand can save valuable time. I just got back from France, and my forays on the internet (and this forum) helped me considerably. For example, great to get off the plane in Strasbourg, head straight for the airport navette, then the tramway stop closest to my hotel. All that for one euro! So easy - advance knowledge about details is empowering! (Besides that, pre-planning is part of the fun - maybe Caroline is too busy for that part of the fun-too bad for her).
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM

I have to say, I have always had the best experience asking for help at CDG. They really have it down pat. Taking the RER is very simple, and anyone can help you find the way. I always just buy my ticket from a clerk. And for anyone who doesn't speak French, everyone there speaks good English. Have a great trip blondie. You will love it.

Search this Thread