Grandma & Grandpop need a hotel in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK-let's get this in the open, up front. We are probably old enough to be the grandparents of most of the readers here. Although we have traveled quite a bit, somehow I think we have over researched for this trip & too much reading here & elsewhere has made us overly cautious. We'll be in Madrid, Barcelona & Bilbao in October. First, we need help with a hotel in Madrid.(later we'll tackle Barcelona & Bilbao)

A few days ago there was a post from someone who talked about winding, narrow, dark & still, unwelcoming streets. Thinking about this & the many articles about pickpocketers etc., I'm trying to get a hotel which we wouldn't be faced with walking back at night in an 'iffy' area or 'back streets'. Ok-you can see that I'm getting nervous.
Of course we like to walk around during the day, visit museums & hope to take in a concert or opera.

We are considering the following :

Hotel Opera--is this location ok or too busy? We're the grandparents, remember.

Hotel Suecia--worn looking rooms? Looks like a good area for museums, but we won't be in a museum all day.

Hotel Green Lope De Vega--good location for museums but is it an area where we could grab a quick breakfast,tapas? Read that rooms are small.

Hotel Plaza Major--area too loud & hectic for the elders?

Hotel Villa DE LA Reinea--not sure of the area, lower part of Gran Via.

Intur Palacio San Martin--again, concerned about 'iffy' area.

Catalonia Moratin

Hotel Petit Palace Arenal

Our price range is up to $150.00

Thanks, readers. We're counting on you & need some help!!
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Okay, just how old is old?

Of course there are places you have to be careful of in Madrid, as in an city, but the Hotel Suecia would be an excellent choice, but since their "Rack Rate" for a double room is 178 Euros + 7% tax, you might want to contact them to see if you can get a discounted rate in October. We also have a friend in the Basque Country whom we often deal with who can handle your hotel arrangements and often has better deals than what you can find on-line, but it would depend on the hotels you select.

If you?ll post an email address, I'll send you a copy of Maribel's Madrid, Barcelona and Bilbao Guides. They should give you enough information to consider where you would like to stay and what you would like to see.
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
CFW

We just came back from Madrid & enjoyed staying at the Hotel Emperatriz. Great service, comfortable (though not large) rooms with especially nice bathrooms (terry robes and slippers, large bath sheets), and delicious buffet breakfasts. It is in the lovely upscale Salamanca area and a short 10 - 15 minute bus ride to all the museums and major sites. Lots of nearby restaurants and you don't have to be concerned walking back to your hotel. The rate on week-ends is 122 Euros; on week-days its 175.
Old May 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM

I stayed at the Intur Palacio San Martin a few weeks ago. It is a lovely, very nice hotel, one of my favorites I've ever had. It is in prime Madrid territory, near the Opera, Plaza Major, Sol, etc. If that area is iffy (don't know where you have hear such things), then almost any area will be iffy.

I will admit, for some reason I couldn't figure out, there is a side street beside the hotel that has become a favorite of some street people. You many have to walk by them to get to the metro. They were not aggressive towards me, I just paid no attention to them, but if seeing street people (homeless, it appeared), bothers someone, that is not the place for them. A lot of streets in the older part of Madrid were somewhat narrow and winding, I suppose, but that's what the city is. They were not excessively so, and not all of them; it was no different to me than other European cities.

If you want a sanitized Disneyland-type experience, with no older areas and no narrow streets, I don't know what part of Madrid that would be. Contrary to some other posts on here, I actually saw no street crime in Madrid. There were more homeless or street people there than in other major European capitals I have visited.
Old May 15th, 2004, 07:27 PM

I came back from Madrid about a month ago, and had a rather pleasant stay at the Crown Plaza at the Plaza Espana. Go to their website and check out their rates. I paid 124 euros per night (which included the 7% tax!). Another to try is the Sofitel. It was about the same price (128 euros, w/o tax). They're both in rather safe areas, the Crown Plaza is the honey colored building behind many pictures of Plaza Espana, and the metro station is right in front of the hotel. Very safe, very easy to get to, and within walking distance of everything you'd want.

You can email me at my screen name @hotmail.com.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM
CFW

The Salamanca area, where the hotel Emperatriz is located, is elegant. No side alleys, no street people. Very much like Madison Avenue area in New York with beautiful shops. We thought it was great to stay there because we could have the advantages of staying in a completely safe area where we could walk at night, yet easily get to the more hustle-bustle downtown areas and all of the sights and museums. We loved Madrid and had no problems at all with pick pockets or anything else. See my trip report that was recently posted.
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Robert, I have Maribel's files. Thanks. You're right, Suecia is too expensive, although I like the area & would like to find something in our price range there. Does anyone have any ideas?

CFW--trying to avoid the bus ride, but I did look into the room rate & so far have gotten $265. How did you book this hotel?

Christina, I saw your post & the hotel looks good. It's a real posibility.

Any other ideas for more affordable lodgings? We don't need a hotel that's too upscale with meeting rooms, fancy lobby. Just want a place that is friendly,has an elevator, is clean in a safe area & has a staff that can help us with information etc.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM

You might look at the Hotel Villa Real. It's in a great location for museums and restaurants, very safe, and on a relatively quiet square.
We've stayed there twice and really liked it.
You should be able to get a room there for €175 ($207), or maybe less- sometimes they have deals. I know that's a little more than you said initially, but I think the hotel might be perfect for you.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM
CFW

Travelegs, I don't know where you got that room rate for the Hotel Emperatriz. Maybe it was aa different hotel that you looked at.... Anyway, the hotel's own web site is now showing a week-day rate of 146 Euros, which is less than we paid, and week-ends are lower than that. We booked through Travel-in-Spain.com, and thought they were very reliable.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:30 AM

We just got back from Spain, and in Madrid we stayed at the Palacio San Martin, and we were very happy there. Thought it was well located, clean, attractive, good food, nice helpful staff. We're also in your age range and didn't have a problem feeling unsafe in the evening; plus, it stays light so late now, you should be fine. Hope this helps.