Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay, what to do in Madrid with a teen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 15-year-old is doing a summer academic program in Madrid and I am planning to accompany her and stay in Madrid with her for maybe 3 days before her program starts. It's a long way to go for a short visit but I've never been to Spain and don't know when I'll have an excuse to go again.

I am interested in recommendations for a safe, convenient, friendly, mid-budget place to stay in Madrid. Also activities that will be fun and interesting for both of us -- we will visit the Prado for sure but she won't want to do more than one day of museums. She is interested in history, especially anything to do with monarchy. Someone suggested a day trip to Toledo -- is that a good use of time or should we stay in Madrid?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
yk

Not sure what your definition of "mid-budget" is, but I recently stayed at Hotel Plaza Mayor in Madrid and thought it was great. Excellent location, yet quiet. Every single staff member was nice and helpful.

http://www.h-plazamayor.com/index.english.html

I'd suggest visiting the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) in Madrid.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Keep a look out for Solmelia.com specials. We stayed in a nice 4* Tryp hotel, with free breakfast, for a total of 72 Euros per night. This was a summer special.

Center Reina Sofia might be more interesting to a 15-year-old than the Prado. CRS has Guernica, among other Picasso and other contemporary works. But I'd see both, if at all possible. We should have gotten to the Thyssen-Bornemisza, but did not.

For history, the royal palace?
http://www.patrimonionacional.es

If your daughter is going to be in Madrid for weeks, definitely go to Toledo.

She may like shopping at Corte Ingles department stores.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

This is great -- thank you so much. Hotel Plaza Mayor looks like exactly what I want.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:55 AM

We stayed in the Best Western Carlos V. It's across the street from Corte Ingles, and very short walks to PLaza Mayor and Puerto Del Sol.

ALso Retiro Park is worth visiting, especially on a nice day. Toledo is an easy day trip, it you want to take a break from Madrid.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Mary,

I concur with the recommendations above. Also, go to the Plaza Mayor area in the evening. It's so colorful in the summer, with so many people out and about. Even if just for a drink, I love to sit at one of the cafes in the Plaza and people watch.

Also, the Reina Sofia museum of Modern art is worth going. It houses Picasso's famous "Guernica" painting.

My son, who is now 19, went to Spain several times in the summer for language immersion programs. I am now looking for a program for my daughter for next year (she'll be 15). Would you mind sharing the name of the program your daughter is attending?

You'll love Spain. Too bad you are not planning to stay longer, there is so much to see.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

cruiseluv, it is a program through Johns Hopkins Univ.; most of their summer offerings are in the US but they have a few international programs and she jumped at the chance to go to Spain. But it is not a language immersion program, unfortunately.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I will definitely visit the Reina Sofia; I did not realize "Guernica" is there and that alone could be almost worth the trip for me.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks Mary,

My son loves Spain (as well as I do!). I am sure it'll be a great experience for your daughter.