Goteborg tips?

Oct 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Goteborg tips?

I only have a day in this city...what shouldn't I miss? If I can splurge on one fancy dinner, where should I go? Thanks!
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM

went to gothenburg feb 2005. hotel we stayed in was first hotel g - excellent & restaurant good too. must see is universeum & jst walking around. try cloudberry jam on waffles
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:12 AM

I really enjoyed the view from the Utkiken tower. One good view of Goteborg! What time of year will you be there? I also enjoyed a boat tour on the Gota canal which doesn't take long. As far as dining I've never had a dinner there, only lunch but I am reviewing the Fodors travel book now for my 2007 trip.
This is what they recommend: Quoted from 2005 Fodors:

$$$ Le Village+ Ever been to restaurant with tables and chairs you liked so much you wished you could take them home? What about the lamps or the paintings on the wall? Well, at Le Village that's exactly what you can do. Everything in this restaurant and the connected antiques shop (# 031/143833) is for sale. The food is exceptional, especially the seasonal meat dishes. Try the smaller dining room if you want to avoid some of the prices in the main room. (Address)- Tredje Langgatan 13, Linnestaden # 031/242003. Credit Cards - AE, DC, MC, V. Closed Sun.

* $$$-$$$$ 28 (Name of restaurant is 28)+ Step down from the street into this former wine and cheese cellar to find an elegant restaurant owned by two of the best chefs in Goteborg. Finely set tables, flickering candles, and country-style artwork evoke the mood of a rustic French town. Italian and American flavors blend their way into the French dishes: choose a five- or seven course meal, or take your pick a la carte. Note that one of the best wine cellars in Sweden is at your disposal. Gotabergsg.28, Centrum # 031/202161 Jacket required. Credit cards, AE, DC, MC, V Closed Sun.

I really enjoyed this city on foot as well. It's a nice city to walk around. It has a very friendly feel.
Enjoy.
Nov 4th, 2005, 05:15 PM

also went to that viewing tower - great view!for food i can recommend the fiskorke (the fish church) sort of market with restaurant. v. good. Also the food market hall just of the main road is great 4 lunch - especially a greek place called alexandros or something like that, excellent cheap food! check out hevbells page on virtual tourist this is where i got these tips and they were worth it.
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:51 AM

I disagree with the poster who said the views from the Utkiken (the Lipstick) building were good. I thought it was a very poor city view and was disappointed, to me it showed the uglier parts of the city close up.

I thought a much better view was from Skansen Kronan (a defensive tower) in the Haga area.

If you have such a short time in the city I would try and include a Padden boat trip around the canals and harbour, a walk around the Haga area (maybe lunch here) and include going up to Skansen Kronan for the views. You will likely spend some time on the main street (known as Avenyn) which is good to walk along from one end to the other.