Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eating at the Musee d'Orsay - Restaurant, Cafe, Mezzanine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at options for eating lunch at the musee d'Orsay and I have found references to a restaurant, a cafe and a mezzanine.
I'd like to know which of those options is the one with the big clock in the room (for lack of a better way to describe it!) and what sort of price range they are, and if any would be less well suited to a family (2 boys 8 and 11) etc

thanks!
V
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM

The Café des Hauteurs is actually a room right next to the clock. It serves simple food - soups, salads, light plates, and is quite reasonable (can't give exact prices as it's been a couple of years since I was there). The view of the clock from the Mezzanine is stunning, but that's a self-service place with limited offerings. The restaurant is fairly fancy and pricey, with no view of the clock.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM

I can only speak for the cafeteria, which is small. There are very few chairs but more tables without chairs. While we were there, there was always room on a table, but not always a chair so some ate standing. The food consisted of sandwiches (like BLT, chicken curry, tuna, ham and cheese for 5 E, I think) and boxed salads and vegetable chips, fruit and really good fresh desserts (tarts, cakes, etc) and bottled drinks.
Hope this helps,
Ella
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your quick replies!
So is the cafeteria the "self-service place" in the Mezzanine?
That might actually be a good fit if it combines StCirq's stunning view of the clock with quick sandwiches.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM

I think the other poster was referring to the Café des Hauteurs when s/he said cafeteria. The clock is RIGHT THERE, as one wall of the café. The Mezzanine is the self-serve place, from which there is a great view of the clock.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq - then it sounds like the Cafe des Hauteurs is what I am looking for! (The boys saw a picture of people eating in front a the big clock and said they thought they would really like to eat there...) Sounds like it could be a relatively reasonable lunch option?
thanks again!
V
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM

I also think the cafeteria is the cafe, but there are two parts--there is an upper level to it that I think it just vending machines or something like that (or vending machine quality). That place can be very crowded (both upper and lower).

I have eaten in the restaurant and didn't think it was pricey at all, I thought it was very reasonable for such a nice restaurant for a full meal. It is a beautiful room and decor, and very pleasant, but since it's full of museum goers (mainly), folks are dressed any which way, so don't worry about dress. I think I had a full course lunch for only around 25 euro or so.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM

The upper part is the Mezzanine.

Here's a picture of the café:

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visits/services/home.html

Yes, it's reasonable and a great place for lunch (though we often ended up going outside to the café right next to the museum entrance so my kids could watch the mime).
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the clock room is just a snack bar. I have never understood the attraction of eating in a museum. I want to see the museum. I want to eat when I leave the museum.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Here is the link to the restaurant at the Orsay:

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/visits/...estaurant.html

We had lunch there a few months ago and I think I would take a pass on it with the kids.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM

That is the restaurant, Weekender, not the café that's being discussed here. I'd take a pass on the restaurant with kids, too.

As for eating in museums, they often offer good value, and it allows people to get in more sightseeing time, as they don't need another venue for a meal. Plus, it's kind of cool to sit next to the clock in the Orsay or in that ballroom at the Jacquemart-André. I often combine museum-going with meals here in DC at various galleries.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM

We visit Musee d'Orsay on nearly every trip to Paris. The food in the Café des Hauteurs is excellent and a fairly good value.

We also really enjoy Le Fregate just east of the Museum on the Quai and corner of rue de Bac. The food is excellent (all the standards and more) and very reasonably priced, with bargain prix fixe menus. Note, with kids, beverages here are a real bargain for Paris.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone - this is very useful information!
V