Venice & Positano...

Search

Venice & Positano...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice & Positano...

Hi, I have an upcoming trip to Venice planned (this will be my 4th) so I'm not worried about that city. But I'm trying to take a side trip to the Amalfi Coast, Positano, Pompei, etc. and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to travel from Venice to that area. I have found some flights but they are 200+ euros and I really wasn't looking to spend that much money. Has anyone taken the train from Venice to Naples? Is it awful? Also, as far as I can tell from my trips to Venice and hanging out with the locals, Piccolo Mondo & the Martini Bar (Scala) are the 'happening' places. (I've also heard of 'Cassanova' but have heard it's mostly students) Anyone know of any other good night spots? Or maybe in Miestre?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:31 AM

MJ - Which airlines have you checked?

ALPI EAGLES fly Venice-Naples
http://www.alpieagles.it/

An alternative budget option might be to fly to Rome and continue by train.

RYANAIR are currently offering Treviso-Rome flights for approx € 20 (incl tax).
There's a Venice-Treviso airport shuttle service (- journey time about 45 mins).
For details:

www.ryanair.com

Venice-Naples by train is a long ride - usually 7 hrs +
There is an overnight service. For details and fares see:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:53 AM

We flew this route with Alitalia this June for £99.20 for 2.

After doing it once, though, I wouldn't combine these 2 destinations again as the travel was just too much hassle & we ended up spending a fortune on limousines.

Normally there is a boat service (www.metrodelmare.com) between Naples & Positano, but unfortunately it wasn't running when we were there. But even when it does run, there are only 2 a day each way, so may not have been very convenient anyway.

So initially we planned to get buses between Naples airport & Positano & were given good detailed info here from Steve & GAC. However, it would have taken 3 buses : 1) Naples airport-Sorrento, 2) the SITA bus from Sorrento to the main road, higher up, in Positano. 3) the little local orange bus to the main square in Positano - which is as far as any motorised transport can get. We would then have had to carry our bags on about a 15 minute walk along alleyways & down flights of steps to get to the harbour, whence we were getting a boat to a place nearby. So not much fun, but doable.

Then Alitalia changed the time of our flight to Naples to much later in the day, and we wouldn't even have arrived at our destination in time for dinner - if at all that day. So we decided to bite the bullet & book a limo - took a recommendation from this board & arranged it for €80. The car was booked to take us right to our final destination, but in the event would only take us to the main square in Positano.

After we arrived, having got a better realisation of how little fun it would be do the walk back uphill to the square then get 3 buses, in the heat of early July, we decided it had to be a limo back to Naples airport too - this time at a cost of €100.

So - I don't recommend it. Isn't there somewhere closer to Venice you'd like to see as a side trip ?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi MJ,

When?

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, Alpi Eagles looks like it has some very decent fares unfortunately when I select english as my language the site doesn't change, it stays in Italian. It seems though that they have flights for 29 euros each way which is awesome except they then add on Adult Tax: € 12,09 - Baggage Tax: € 3,25 - Airport Tax: € 3,62 - Local Tax: € 4,00 - Dom On VAT: € 2,29 Carrier Surcharge: € 36,00 - Fuel Surcharge: € 56,00. So the total ends up being 180 euros. I have a friend who lives in Positano who will be picking me up in Naples, maybe I will look into the overnight train as it's 141 to fly to Rome through Alpi and through Ryan Air I'm getting 99 euros each way? (Steve, can you tell me when you searched and got the 20 price?) My friend is also checking local travel angecies for me too. I've been fooling around on the trenitalia website for a few minutes and can't seem to find schedule/pricing for thr overnight train? Any suggestions?

Hi Ira, I will be there from Nov18 - 29th
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Have you tried Alitalia ? When I booked, they were cheaper than AlpiEagles, once the latter had added all their extras on.

Getting picked up from Naples sounds much better !
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Caroline, Yes, I tried Alitalia, their price is a whopping $498 usd!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:34 PM

Wow ! I suppose I did book 5 months in advance.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:52 PM

Hi maryjane, I wonder if when you are in Italy and make reservations via Alitalia to fly from Venice to Naples if you wouldn't get a much cheaper airfare comapared to to the airfare you are now getting. I say that because I have had friends in the region of Veneto that have flown a lot between Venice and Naples and I know they did not pay the equilevent of $498.00. And there was recently a thread here on Fodors about the difference for airfares when they are purchased in Europe to fly within Europe versus purchasing the same airtickets from the US. Of course if you don't want to wait until you get to Italy to buy the airline tickets I can understand.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks 'LoveItaly' (so do I ) I will def. check the ticket price from Italy. I'm generally a 'fly by the seat of my pants' traveler. I've rented an apartment for 10 days in Venice but I'm not concerned if I stay there every night, it's all where the day takes you - carpe diem! So if I get a good flight/price, cool, but if not, I'm sure I'll find some other adventure to keep me occupied!
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:56 AM

MJ - What date are you travelling? (I just plugged in a date for mid-November as you said 'upcoming' and got the Ryanair fare of € 20).

But actually flying to Rome doesn't really save you any time or money with transfers to/from the airport etc. - you may as well go by train if there's no cheap flight to Naples.

Daytime rail fare is € 55 by Eurostar.

If you travel overnight and want a cuchette, prices start from

€ 60 for a place in a 4-berth
€ 75 for a 3- berth
€ 84 for a 2-berth
€ 143 for a single

... or € 42 for a seat.

For details and times -
www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve