Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

East Anglia/Norwich Area-Accommodations Recommendations

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

First of all I apologize to anyone if I have the "region" incorrect; I realize that Norwich is in Norfolk but here's the situation.

Some days ago I posted about a railway driving course and wanted to thank everyone who responded to that post with their very helpful information. For better or worse and after considering numerous factors I have decided to do the course on the Bure Valley Railway between Aylsham and Wroxham in April 2006.

I will fly into London and stay there two nights (hotel is already decided upon).

I will then take a train to Norwich where I will rent a car for use over the next three-four days. I'll turn the car in after the course, train back to London for one night and then return home.

I'd like to stay fairly close or within a reasonable drive to/from Alysham but I'd also like to stay somwhere a little memorable, too, so I'm open to suggestions. Isn't this one part of England that is on lots of picture post cards? I'm not expecting the perhaps bygone wonders of "Norfolk" as presented in the movie "The Go-Between" but this is NOT Holiday Inn time that's for certain.

I won't say price is no object but I can afford to spend some serious money if necessary...and with the exchange rate for US Dollars that's already a given and understood.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated; or do I need to give you more information?

Thanks very much, as always.

Nov 4th, 2005, 09:48 AM
cw

Hi Voyager,

I recommend you start off by looking at www.smoothhound.co.uk. A quick look indicated quite a few B & B's/Inns in the area.

I hope you'll report on the train course after you return. Sounds like such a unique experience.

cw
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

CW:

Thanks very much for that lead. I will check it out and yes, I will report back about the driving course.
Nov 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM

A plug. If the Bure Valley falls through, www.east-lancs-rly.co.uk might be a good alternative. You can fly directly to manchester and if you are a train buff there are several other steam railways in the area!!
(A confession. I'm a volunteer on the east lancs!!!)
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Grahamh49:

Where were you last week when I needed you???(LOL). I actually called the Bure Valley folks this morning at the absolute crack of dawn US time and booked/prepaid for the course. They were really wonderful to deal with.

I must say that there seems to be an absolute wealth of these courses in the UK and it was difficult to choose just one. I was very interested in the five-day course in Yorkshire but couldn't get any e-mail response from them (perhaps I should have called but, oh well..)

Anyway, I'm excited at the prospect of tooling around in a car in Norfolk and Suffolk as part of this little adventure. I actually rented the car today through Kemwell. My only 'concern' is not so much with driving on the left as it is getting used to a steering wheel that is on the right!!!

So, I'm prepared to take out every possible shred of insurance available and that is to protect the locals!

If you hear about a "massive traffic jam" anywhere in East Anglia next April you'll know it was caused by me!

Thanks for your interest and the "plug."
Nov 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM
cw

Voyager,

The hardest part of getting used to the steering wheel on the right is remembering what side of the car to get into!

You'll do fine. Just keep thinking left, especially at the roundabouts (or rotaries as we call them here in New England).

CW
Nov 4th, 2005, 04:49 PM

I don't know just exactly what you are looking for but in the Norfolk/Norwich area..try Stratton's in Swaffham! I love this place and the owners are a true delight...and the food is WONDERFUL!
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

CW: Thanks for that note of encouragement. I have thought about the very real possibility of repeatedly getting into the wrong side of the car!

I learned a valuable lesson about roundabouts while driving in France earlier this year and that was to keep circling until you are relatively sure of which "exit" to take!!

Jody: thanks VERY much for the recommendation. Stratton's looks like great fun and I'll definitely consider it even if it is only for a meal.

So many places to see and so little time..sigh!