Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good eats in Paris - around Eiffel Tower, Museum d'Orsay (sp.?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:09 AM
pensy

Good, casual eateries for 10 people.<BR>Thanks!

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Jennifer

Are you looking for more of a cafe or a restaurant? Any particular cuisines? Any price ranges?<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:27 AM
pensy

Jennifer,<BR>Cafe or restaurant, either one. No particular type of cuisine. Not very expensive.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:11 AM
Gretchen

For the Eiffel Tower look up above for the posts about restaurants around Rue Cler.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:29 PM
Rex

If you value your time at all (and maybe even if you don't), there is no better choice for a lunch than the main (grand ballroom) retaurant IN the Musee d'Orsay. And I think that there is so much wonderfil art to enjoy there, it is great to break it up into 60-90 minutes, and a simlar (or slightly shorter) period on the opposite side of lunch. Your choice longer before, or longer after.<BR><BR>It's a great place to eat; good food, good service, good value, gorgeous setting.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:00 PM
Howard

Rex is right on the mark with his suggestion. The ambiance alone of the main restaurant in the D'Orsay is worth the experience. Add to that some very good food that is moderately priced. It was one of our favorite dining experiences during our two weeks in Paris. And, as Rex said, it's a wonderfully relaxing 60 to 90 minutes between your viewing of the museum's magnificent collection!

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:06 PM
ryan

My wife and I have had several good meals at Bistro Voltaire just on the Left Bank waterfront near the D'Orsay. The restaurant is a classic French bistro that occupies a house once owned by its namesake.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Jennifer

"Not very expensive" is widely subjective (you didn't mention a price range!), but an intimate little place with some of the best cuisine I've ever eaten is called "Restaurant de la Tour," at 6, rue Desaix, tel: 01 43 06 04 24. It's near the Eiffel Tower, but on a side street, well hidden from the tourist crowds.<BR><BR>A native Parisian took me there, and there wasn't a single other non-native in sight! Although, surprisingly, they did have English menus. Reservations are a must, but if you want an excellent taste of Paris without a monumental cost, I can't recommend this highly enough. I ate a dish of pasta with morel mushrooms, and I've never eaten better pasta in my life, with one exception -- The Pharmacy in London.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:31 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
topper

to the top for pensy