Paris: Le Cafe Branly

Old Aug 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris: Le Cafe Branly

Le Cafe Branly is part of the Musee du Quai Branly in Paris, and the outside terrace seating supposedly offers a great view of the Eiffel Tower.

Has anyone dined at the cafe, and if so, any comments?
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
cw

We've eaten there twice. I don't think it has a view of the Eiffel Tower--the restaurant on top on the museum does, but the cafe sits in the middle of their gardens.

It's a very pleasant place for a break in between sights. Can't remember much about the food--sandwiches and light entrees, with beer and wine and soft drinks. Typical museum restaurant fare. You don't have to pay to go to the museum to eat at the cafe. It gets crowded around noon time so I would go earlier or later.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

cw, yes Les Ombres Restaurant is the main restaurant and it has great view of the Eiffel Tower. However, there are photos on the web that show Le Cafe Branly with tower views also.

It does look like a pleasant place in order to avoid the Paris crowds. Your suggestion about going earlier or later makes sense. Thanks.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Les Ombres has a fabulous view of the Eiffel Tower, so close you could almost touch it and the food was great as well. I don't know about the cafe but it sounds like a very different experience.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

LouisaH, your comments about Les Ombres echoes what I've read previously - but too expensive for me feeding six people.

Cafe Branly may not be the place for our family either.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM

You speak of a family and are looking for lunch near Quai Branley. Consider the Christian Constant place, Les Cocottes. It's about 5 blocks or so from the museum and has wonderful food. They take no reservations so you want to get your brood there before 12:00 for lunch. They have no view of the Eiffel Tower, but they have wonderful offerings at a reasonable price. Almost everything is served in little individual Staub cast iron pots. They have a lunch special for around 15 euros and many of the dishes are in the 15 to 20 euro range. It's quite modern looking, like an upscale diner with tall stools either at the counter or around tall tables. If you have teens in your party I would expect them to find it interesting, though the adults won't find it "teen." Google something like menu Les Cocottes and see information about the place. It's at 135 Rue St. Dominique. It's a new must stop on our list of Paris places to dine.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM

JulieVikmanis has great suggestions, or, search for a more modest cafe nearby. Personally, I found Cafe Branly overpriced (and didn't go in), but did enjoy the lunch 'formule' at Les Ombres on another day. However, I feel this would be very expensive for a family, it depends on your budget. You can easily eat somewhere else and then enjoy the beautiful museum seperately.